Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Remote shutter release
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:04 pm 
I used to really enjoy using a Nikon AR-3 cable release on my D100 camera, but now that I have upgraded to a D200, I find the shutter release button doesn't have a threaded hole in it, so I can't use my AR-3. Am I missing something really obvious? Why did Nikon drop this simple yet useful facility? Assuming the AR-3 really is incompatible with the D200, does anyone have any alternative ways of avoiding camera shake when depressing the shutter release button, apart from self-timer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:23 am 
Site Admin

Hi Banana Jack, you're lucky if you've got this far with digital SLRs (or even film SLRs) and not had to buy an electronic cable release! Most manufacturers switched to proprietary electronic cable releases some time ago, and call me a cynic, but I think it's more to do with making money on accessories than anything else.

Some are at least offering more sophisticated models with intervalometer features, but either way, you'll be spending a considerable amount on one compared to the old mechanical threaded versions. (Actually, that's one thing I really liked about the Fujifilm FinePix S9500 / S9000, as it employs a threaded shutter button for use with old cable releases)

Personally speaking, I'm a big fan of using the self-timer. It's fine for any shot where you don't need it taken immediately, or keep the shutter open for Bulb exposures.

If you do need either support for Bulb or having the picture taken straightaway though, while also avoiding pressing the shutter release button, you'll need to splurge on an electronic cable release. Sorry!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:18 am 
Hi Gordon - thanks for your reply and for confirming I'm not going mad. I do have a Nikon ML-3 infra-red remote control, but to be honest I think it's a bit of a pain because you have to mount the receiver on the top shoe, connect the 10-pin remote socket, make sure the 2 x AAA transmitter batteries aren't flat, and make sure you're stood in front of (or behind) the camera so the IR beam works. And every time you want to take a shot you have to find and point the transmitter again - it's not attached to the camera like the AR-3 !

Call me a whinge-bag but I think the AR-3 cable is just much simpler and neater. Since it doesn't work with the D200 though, like you I expect I'll start to become very familiar with self-timer soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:15 pm 

Same to me,

I won't invest my hard earned cash into something as trivial as a remote release - as least when Nikon tries to rip me off...
I will go for the self-timer to avoid any unnecessary shake with the camera-tripod system.
But then, there are some situations, where you need to sync the release "just in time" :arrow: bad luck :!: