Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: D40 vs old Canon IXUS 55
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:11 pm 

Hi guys,

If you don't mind please have a look at some new photos taken with my D40. I'm a bit concerned that they don't seem as sharp as previous photos taken with the compact Canon IXUS55, although this is probably all in my mind.

One problem with the D40 landscape shot was that I'd left the camera in A mode, so the aperture was right up at 22! I assume this will contribute to any lack of sharpness, as the shutter speed will be lower, correct?

Anyway any constructive criticism more than welcome.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70255654@N ... 490299864/

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:26 pm 

Hi there. I'm no expert but I'll have a stab at it.

First of all, nice pictures, all of them

Using f22 will indeed mean that a longer shutter speed is required. Also, any lens is compromised in sharpness at it's extreme end. Try using f8 and see what you think.

I also notice you've got your cameras sharpening set to "Auto". This won't help either.

Having said that I leave the sharpening on my D80 set to "Normal". I do all my sharpening in PP.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Last edited by zorro on Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:27 pm 

Well, at least at 1024 they seem sharp to me.
Also checked your shutter speeds and they all seem to be on the secure side (DSC_0103: 1/80 sec at 18mm).
I think you have to post 100% crops to let us compare...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:53 pm 

Thanks Zorro! Thomas, I'd be happy to...but how exactly do I achieve this technological feat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:11 pm 

Do you have software to cut a say 800x800 pix part from your pic?
I think even the standard windows tool Paint can do this (use the selection tool, copy, insert into new pic). Save as jpeg with good quality, just attach a "m" (for modified) to the filename (like DSC_0899m.jpg) and upload to flickr.
At this size flickr won't procrastinate your pic and we can view it @ 100%...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:27 am 
At f22 you probably got softer images because of diffraction...

Darrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:18 pm 

Thomas,

Crops uploaded. Thanks for your help!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70255654@N ... 490299864/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:36 pm 
zorro wrote:
I also notice you've got your cameras sharpening set to "Auto". This won't help either.

My D80 is set to auto (the default) and I've never even thought of changing it. How would having this set to auto decrease sharpness out of interest?

I might have a play around with setting it to Normal to see what effect it has.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:44 pm 

Well I'm assuming that leaving it on "auto" allows for it to use some setting other than "high", that's all. If it is going to use "high" then why have an "auto" setting at all?

Personally I use "normal" because I prefer to do my sharpening in post-processing.

Having said all that I'm by no means an expert and if someone with more knowledge says differently then I'm prepared to alter my practices. I'm always willing to learn. I haven't had my D80 all that long and it's a learning curve for me too.

Zorro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:54 pm 
Yep, I take "Auto" to mean that the camera firmware will look at the image and apply the level of sharpening that it thinks necessary. As you say, you're bound to have more control if you do it yourself in an application.

I think I just mis-read your post to mean that Auto can somehow decrease the sharpness of images. If you do set the camera sharpness controls to "Normal" then make sure that you don't forget to check the sharpness when you're post-processing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:21 pm 

It's important for me to remember that I am on a learning curve.

Reading back what I said there's a glaring mistake. Surely, instead of using "normal" and sharpening in PP, I should be setting in-camera to "none" then sharpening in PP? I'm going out with the dog to have a look at this more. I'll get back to you.

Zorro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:32 am 

Anyway, lets get back to the crops people! :) Seriously though, my fears have been allayed- at 100% the D40 pics are nice and sharp, while the IXUS 55 ones still hold up to a very good level.

Perhaps my problem is with the White Balance of the photos, something I've been having a problem with (switching between the various modes, mostly "Auto" at -0.3 and "Cloudy" at -1 or -2, and not really settling on one for each situation).

Let me know what you think!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:59 am 

You have to be careful, Steve! Sometimes resizing of a bigger picture to fit the screen of your PC generates artifacts. Perhaps that was what you've seen.
Now with the sharpness issue out of the way, let's tackle the white-balance! Well, on my monitor the 103 and 136 seem to have a little (too) much blue, even in the foreground. If the roof in 136 should be a neutral gray, then there is certainly to much blue. It also seems to me that the color saturation is a little overdone, you've set it to "High saturation". That should also be responsible for the blueish hue in the distance - which is normal, but I'd like it a little less saturated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:45 am 

I agree Thomas. On 136 in particular there is clearly too much blue. Would you suggest changing the White Balance setting on the camera (it was taken in "auto" mode), or doing some fiddling with the photo afterwards in photoshop? "Cloudy" lessens the blue but seems to add a far too orange tint for my liking (although in some other photos- where I took one in "auto" and one in "cloudy", I prefer this look. Maybe its just a case by case basis).

As for the colour saturation, despite the side effects you mention I like the boosts to colour it gives- particularly, for example, the nice red hue of the temple in 124.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:33 am 

As I always leave my WB on auto and do any corrective work on my RAWs afterwards in CaptureNX, you know what my answer is:
Don't fiddle around at the time of shooting with things you can easily correct afterwards, concentrate on composition, perspective, lighting!