Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tripod anyone??
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:38 am 
So now I am finally equipped with a great camera (Nikon D80) and an equally fantastic lens (Nikkor 18-200VR DX) and I am being told that not only is a tripod a must-have accessory, which I knew, but a cheaply made tripod (which I already own) is not worth getting (or having), and a barely decent tripod might set me back a minimum of a couple of hundred $USD. And when I look through the myriads of online catalogs displaying their vast tripod selections, I realize I have no idea of what specifics to look for, nor how might I best be able to not have to sell my children in order to afford one (basically kidding, of course), and what can I expect to find in a reasonably good tripod that might not weigh so much that eventually I would have to choose whether to carry the tripod around without the camera just to save my back!

Any suggestions anyone? Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Avesong, I have one word for you: Manfrotto.

They arguably make the best tripods around and have a wide range of legs and heads available. Yep, legs and heads! For all but the smallest models, you'll need to buy these seperately, but the good news is one Manfrotto head will screw onto another set of Manfrotto legs.

The question you need to carefully ask yourself is what you want to use the tripod for, and how you'll transport it. Tiny, light models are great for hiking, but are flimsier and rarely extend as high as bigger, sturdier models. If you need to react quickly, you may also want to consider a monopod - great for spontaneous sports or wildlife shots.

Great entry-level Manfrotto tripods are the 055CL or 190 series (especially the carbon fiber version if it doesn't break the budget), and I'd highly recommend the 460MG head to go with them, which is strong, precise and weighs next to nothing.

Does anyone else have any tripod favourites?

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:43 pm 
I agreee with Manfrotto.

I have the 190PRO-B which does everything it says on the tin - and then some. Not too heavy, reasonable price and a great piece of kit.

For the head - I went slightly unconvential and bought the 322RC2 which is a ball head with a grip for adjustment (do a search and u will see what I mean!). Again, for me, I find this a great piece of kit and the two combined are worth every penny.