Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Lens On The Way
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:30 pm 

Hi folks.

I've been agonizing over a new lens for ages now and finally took the plunge. I've ordered a Tokina 12-24mm lens. When I look through my photos the vast majority have been shot between 18-22mm. I like landscapes best and this lens seemed the best option for me.

I did consider the Sigma 10-20mm but I read more than a few bad reports of that lens, including by the great Guru, Tombomba. I've really only read good things about the Tokina. I did have a look at the Nikon equivalent but I'm not made of money and the differences between it and the Tokina aren't big.

I was initially thinking of buying from a Hong Kong seller through Ebay but got cold feet at the thought of getting a bad copy and having the hassle of returning it. So, I'll just soak up the price differential (£100) and hope for the best

I do hope I've made the correct decision.

Zorro.

PS. We need a Tokina sub-forum.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

A Tokina sub forum? Maybe, but you're the first to mention the brand for a while!

Be great to hear what you think of the lens though...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:51 pm 

Well it's not been a smooth purchase, that's for sure. The copy I got takes superb photos. Unfortunately there is a problem with the AF/MF clutch mechanism on my sample. I've emailed the company I bought it from (Warehouseexpress) and I'm returning it this coming Monday. Really disappointed but I had read of some sample variability issues so it wasn't a huge shock. I have to say though that putting aside that problem, the lens is built like a tank. It's also at least as sharp as my Nikkor 18-135mm kit lens.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head