Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:00 pm 
Hey all!

I bet you are getting bored of these 'should I get a D40 or a D40x' topics, and so am I as I have been researching for a good few months now! But in my situation there is a slight twist!

As I am under 18 I cannot claim the cash back from Nikon on their offer, so this makes things a little pricey.

However, I have found I can get a D40 for around £330 and a D40x for only £400, both with the standard 18-55mm lens.

This will be my first DSLR, but I'm not sure if it will be my last. I do like photography and doing a graphic design course at college they do kind of link! So I presume by having a D40x with the extra few megapixels it wont get out dated and lose its value as quickly as much as the D40. Basically if I try to sell it in a couple of years I should be able to get more for the D40x than the D40 as I guess 6 megapixels in a few years will be not much at all! That said I know its not all about the megapixels!

I know the main differences in ISO and megapixels and for a current project I am planning on printing at poster size, so I'm not sure if there will be much difference after some enlarging on Photoshop but hey, you're the experts!

So overall... Is the D40x worth that extra £70?! Where do you buy your cameras from?! And have you seen a D40 or D40x cheaper elsewhere? If I could find a D40 with the cash back already for £270 I would have it straight away!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:09 am 
RadicalRooster wrote:
So overall... Is the D40x worth that extra £70?!

Unfortunately, only you can answer that question... 10 megapixels do not mean only larger prints - they also give you more flexibility in cropping... do you plan on shooting a lot in low light? - the D40 has cleaner high ISO pictures... and finally, a thing that just came to my attention - do you expect to take images with powerful light sources (like the sun)? - you might get blooming with the D40 due to the way its shutter system was designed (both mechanic and electronic).

So you need to think how important are the differences for you, and then you'll know if they are worth those extra pounds...

Darrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:30 am 
I will probably be doing all of those things! So I guess it's a bit win or lose with both!

I think I may just go for the D40x though, I already have a 6 megapixel point andshoot which does the job, but as I'm spending alot of money I might as well upgrade!

I heard that both models don't have AEB for shooting HDRs! Is this true and whats the way around it?!

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:13 pm 
RadicalRooster wrote:
I heard that both models don't have AEB for shooting HDRs! Is this true and whats the way around it?!

True!
You can use a tripod and bracket the exposure manually (in the Manual mode for example).

Darrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:58 pm 

If xou take the plunge into such an investment, I'd certainly go for the D40x! It's kind of invetment protection, keeps the value of your money longer than investing in D40...