Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:29 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:12 pm 

Ernie wrote:
free to choose between FX, DX, megapixels etc. Technically it wouldn't be a problem at all

That would be a problem DX and FX require different mirrorboxes and prisms/viewfinders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:31 pm 

Not necessarily, Wout: The Nikon FX-bodies show that you can perfectly shoot DX and FX with one body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:54 pm 
WoutK89 wrote:
Ernie wrote:
free to choose between FX, DX, megapixels etc. Technically it wouldn't be a problem at all

That would be a problem DX and FX require different mirrorboxes and prisms/viewfinders

not at all... the viewfinders get smaller when you put a dx lens on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:44 pm 

So lets state, that if Nikon would ever do so, that camera will be immensely expensive for people that just want to shoot DX, since the mirrorbox and viewfinder/prism has to be able to do FX too. So I think they will just stick to DX is DX sensors in a compact body, and FX sensors that are able to do crop DX in less compact to very big bodies.

And I know its all fictional, but just I didnt see it like this when talking interchangeable sensors. We are now really entering proc-socket territory, FX would be the 1366 socket and DX the 1156, and thats marketing for you!

On topic: Maybe thats the reason a D700x/D800 will not be cheap, cause for people wanting to shoot high-res DX crop, but also may consider FX, it would/could hurt Nikon's D300(s)/D400 sales.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:53 pm 

Yes, if you want to shoot DX solely, a dedicated optimized DX body is best. Funnily Nikon decided to keep the lens-mount and the depth of the mirror-box of DX and FX systems identical.
This adds to the cost of a DX body, but makes it easy to interchange DX and FX lenses on each type of body. Something Canon does not offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:55 pm 
Would you shoot using DX lenses on an FX body? Honestly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:04 pm 

Thomas wrote:
Yes, if you want to shoot DX solely, a dedicated optimized DX body is best. Funnily Nikon decided to keep the lens-mount and the depth of the mirror-box of DX and FX systems identical.
This adds to the cost of a DX body, but makes it easy to interchange DX and FX lenses on each type of body. Something Canon does not offer.

Did they have to keep the mount the same, I say yes! Is it a coincidence that DX and FX are interchangeable, then no. Nikon has 50 years of Nikkor in it past, with a lot of high quality FX glass, I dont think they would risk losing so many faithful Photographers just by stating, FX requires a different mount (does it actually? I honestly dont know, since they offer a very nice line-up)

Would anyone with FX (someone that never owned a camera before mainly), buy DX lenses or shoot DX crop with its FX lenses, is there an advantage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:11 pm 

"Would you shoot using DX lenses on an FX body? Honestly?"
Yes! If I ever get a Nikon FX body I will surely keep the 18-200 VR lens for versatility and the DX 10.5/2.8 fisheye (after sawing of the hood). There is no corresponding FX lens and the 28-300mm alternatives from Sigma and Tamron will not really yield better images.

"FX requires a different mount" It was the other way around, Wout: Nikon had the lens mount from their 35mm film bodies and kept it when introducing their first DX bodies. They could have made a smaller mount and reduce the depth of the mirror box which would have made the bodies smaller and cheaper, but would make all their customers who wanted to switch from film to digital need to buy new lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:16 pm 

Thomas wrote:
"FX requires a different mount" It was the other way around, Wout: Nikon had the lens mount from their 35mm film bodies and kept it when introducing their first DX bodies. They could have made a smaller mount and reduce the depth of the mirror box which would have made the bodies smaller and cheaper, but would make all their customers who wanted to switch from film to digital need to buy new lenses.

Oh sorry, didn't know you were referring to it like that, thats way before my photography time :oops: Learning everyday still!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:02 am 

rubbing my hands eagerly for this release!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:51 am 
Orsan Kart wrote:
rubbing my hands eagerly for this release!!

+1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:44 pm 

Latest rumors say there will not be a D700x or D700s, or whatsoever, so I guess we will have to wait a little longer for any, if there will be none next week

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:18 pm 

I cant believe that. Nikon needs something akin to the D700 with 24MP soon (not as a successor to the D700, mind you!). A simple "s" update will not be enough.
And if even a D700s is now uncertain, I'm not sure what the Nikon engineers are doing at the mo :? The design in of the D3x sensor in the D700 body could've only be work for 1 month, not 1 year :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:28 pm 

Thomas wrote:
The design in of the D3x sensor in the D700 body could've only be work for 1 month, not 1 year :x

Maybe Nikon has something up its sleeve that they are perfecting, or they rather wait for a D800 to bring it all instead of a D700x now and in 6 months (or a bit longer) the D800 already.

Regarding the D700x as a replacement, they would have a different sensor, so I would never think like that, see D3 and D3x, but a D700s would be a replacement, see D300 and D300s. A D700s would be something they will not do very soon if they come with a D3s, that would kill the sales most probably to Pro's that are in between and need something that the D3s will offer now, and cant wait any longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:31 pm 
Thomas wrote:
I cant believe that. Nikon needs something akin to the D700 with 24MP soon (not as a successor to the D700, mind you!). A simple "s" update will not be enough.
And if even a D700s is now uncertain, I'm not sure what the Nikon engineers are doing at the mo :? The design in of the D3x sensor in the D700 body could've only be work for 1 month, not 1 year :x

And if they released a D700-esque body with D3x sensor one month after the D3x, or anything short of a year or two, they would've completely KILLED one of their own products. No one would've bought a D3x; they'd all either go for the D3 for speed or (the 'D700x'-esque body) for resolution. It's a marketing thing. That said, I suppose if we don't see a D700 successor now, it'll probably be a whole new camera (ala D800 or something) in the next year or two, perhaps.

Just my $0.02 CAD.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next