Funny: nobody is predicting the simultaneous announcement of the D3x (see here
) and the D800/900.
Then, why should I?!
Well, technology-wise it's very
- Nikon has the Body for the D3x: it's the D3 body
- Nikon has the body for the D800/900: it's the D700 body
- Nikon will have a hi-res FX sensor, when the D3x is announced
- It can super-easily slap this sensor into the body of the D700
What might be show-stoppers on the road to affordable hi res FX bliss?
Yeah it comes all down to evil marketing conspiracy:
- marketing doesn't want to "spoil" the D3x party with the release of a lesser/cheaper body
- marketing want's you to shell out all your cash for the D3x first, offering a more affordabel variant later
- marketing doen's want the huge demand for a D800/900 compete for the brand-spanking new 24+MPix sensor which is in short supply
- marketing has signed a contract with Sony that gives them access to x-thousand samples of the new sensor only in return for not releasing a direct competitor to the new Sony flagship.
we are in the realm of conspiracy theory and I'm quickly leaving this field before any grenades are being hurled in my direction.
Thomas (beware: Nikon-fanboy and moderator!) My Lens Reviews
, My Pictures
, My Photography Blog