Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:29 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:11 pm 
Here's something really good about being a Canikonian: you always have LOTS OF toys. It took Olympus FOUR long years to update its flagship model. And it's really just a semi-professional body comparing to the 1Ds series and D-x series.

Sony is very young to the DSLR market. But its power cannot be underestimated. I've been to Japan and learned that Sony is like their God.. or at least like their Microsoft. With the money the company possesses, its DSLR market share is destined to increase.

I think it's good to have more competitive companies on the market. We consumers are the beneficiaries. Hopefully the competition will bring the price down.

I'm still thinking: a DX sensor costs $50 and a FF sensor costs $500, how come the D300 costs $1500 and the D700 costs $3000 while they share most of the body components?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:44 am 
I wasn't suggesting that Sony was to be underestimated but Nikon has a good line-up of professional lenses(so does Canon) whereas Sony isn't quite there yet. Sony may be a household name in Japan and even the rest of the world but the professionals who buy the D700 know to look further than that.

You're right though, Sony's market share will only increase from here and they've already made much progress in the years they've been active as a DSLR manufacturer.

I didn't know Microsoft could be likened to God! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:40 pm 

Funny: nobody is predicting the simultaneous announcement of the D3x (see here) and the D800/900.
Then, why should I?!
Well, technology-wise it's very simple:
- Nikon has the Body for the D3x: it's the D3 body
- Nikon has the body for the D800/900: it's the D700 body
- Nikon will have a hi-res FX sensor, when the D3x is announced
- It can super-easily slap this sensor into the body of the D700

What might be show-stoppers on the road to affordable hi res FX bliss?
Yeah it comes all down to evil marketing conspiracy:
- marketing doesn't want to "spoil" the D3x party with the release of a lesser/cheaper body
- marketing want's you to shell out all your cash for the D3x first, offering a more affordabel variant later
- marketing doen's want the huge demand for a D800/900 compete for the brand-spanking new 24+MPix sensor which is in short supply
- marketing has signed a contract with Sony that gives them access to x-thousand samples of the new sensor only in return for not releasing a direct competitor to the new Sony flagship.
Now we are in the realm of conspiracy theory and I'm quickly leaving this field before any grenades are being hurled in my direction.

See you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:02 pm 

Now that the D3x is released, what would be the major thing to speculate about with a D700x/800/900?
- not the body: just assume a D700 body
- which means: anti-dust
- which means: built-in flash
- which means no 100% view finder coverage

But the two biggest questions are:
- Price
- Date

So here's my personal prediction:
- SRP: 3500€ (incl. 19% You-know-VAT)
- Announcement: 3rd quarter 2009. Availability: 4th quarter 2009

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:59 pm 

Btw. IF a SRP of 3500€ is right we could expect some street prices of around 2500€ later on. This in turn puts a D700x much closer to the Canon 5DMkII than seems at first look.
But by that time (2010) the 5DMkII might be below 2000€ :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:51 pm 
Just thought I'd mention that whatever replaces the D700 won't be tempting to me. The only thing I can see them changing right now are the mp count, and maybe adding video, neither of which interest me.

I actually can't wait till it's successor comes out, just so that the price of the D700 can come down and I can go FF woop woop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:54 pm 

Oh, the D700x is NOT meant to replace the D700.
Just like the D3x is not meant to replace the D3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:21 pm 
Thomas wrote:

Lol, I meant to say, when the D700x is released, I won't have any interest in it :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:26 pm 

That much I got in the first place :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:39 am 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Lol, I meant to say, when the D700x is released, I won't have any interest in it :P

Same. I don't even use 12mp on the D300.
________
Honda VT600C history

Last edited by asdfg on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: D900x
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:42 am 

I heard from a very reliable source that the D900x along with its 49MP sensor will also feature Nikon's new BI® mode. With it activated all shots will be beautiful images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:05 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:
But then there is the serious Q of whether of not the D700x will get a video-mode, perhaps even 1080p :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:36 pm 
Well my next camera has to be an FX format with decent fps and movie mode. Movie mode's just bang for buck and since it's thrown in i'll use it. Nikon has to come up with something mind blowing and surprising soon. I hope.
________
Ford Lio Ho history

Last edited by asdfg on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:17 am 
Well if Canon can do it(1080p) with their 5d MKII, I'm sure Nikon has the ability to do so. A camera that can handle 5 24mp images shouldn't be lacking in the processing ability.

I think it's a matter of whether Nikon wants to put the resources in the such an area when it could be spent on other and (maybe) more important areas. The D700x/800 and all SLRs are photographers camera first, whatever else second.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:51 pm 

Well, Graham. Now the Nikon has started to at least implement a lower kind of HD-video in its cameras, they certainly should be able technically to follow Canon on the path to 1080p*. The real question (as you posed it) is: When is Nikon seeing it as a necessity in their cameras. Just to "tick the right boxes".
Me personally, I'm on the brink of getting back into camcorders as some things are best documented with live feed and not still photos.
------
*although Canon/Sony and Panasonic all have the advantage of building camcorders by themselves. Nikon is without such resources.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next