Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: D40 White Balance Modes
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:55 pm 

Hi everyone!

I'm getting to grips with my new D40, but was wondering what everyones thoughts are on the autmatic white balance mode, as opposed to the other pre-sets.

Does anyone find sunny / cloudy / other presents particularly useful, selecting them most of the time? What sort of fine tuning do you give to the presets?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:08 pm 

Well Steve, you know my answer already, don't you?! :wink:
I leave everything on automatic and correct any things I don't like later in CaptureNX. This way I never bother about WB. Shooting in RAW is helpful but not necessary in this respect.

BUT: Most of the time I'm quite content with what the D80 (and I assume that the D40 has the same WB-strategy) produces. The times where I change the color-balance / grey-point would not have normally impressed my eye before I saw the result. Meaning: The eye is not the best receptor to decide what the color-temp is. And at the end I'd like to let a little of the color-mood of the shot seep through to final picture.

The cases where I correct is mostly when the important object is in the shadow of a brightly lit day. When you shoot a pic with bright sunny parts in it, the cam tends to use them as a reference for WB and the objects in the shadow tend to come out quite blueish. That seems to be a standard situation, but honestly, to give you advice here would mean to make a series of test shots with a deminishing portion of bright sunny parts to find out when the auto-WB tends to recognise the shadowy segments...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:35 am 
Hi Steve,

In my JPEG days with the D40 I set it to AutoWB for all situations except when shooting indoors with tungsten of fluorescent lights - AutoWB does not work well in those cases so it's worth using the corresponding presets.

Darrin