Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:04 am 
Does anybody know or know of a site where I can find out which lenses will meter with my D80? I am very interested in acquiring a Tamron 90mm adaptall macro lens - I know it is manual focus but will it meter with my D80?

What do others use for macro work?

thanks
Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:21 am 

Well Simon, you can see my macro-gear in my sig.
As to the Tamron adaptall I can't say a thing :(
But loosing autofocus for macro work can be a heavy penalty when you're shooting freehand. That's where the continuous focus of the D80+AF-lens comes into great play as you're not only shaking (leading to my next topic) but also moving back and forth (you plus your subject). In these situations you'll never be able to manual focus or even find the right split second where to pull the trigger :cry:
If you're mostly shooting inanimate objects from a tripod, you can easily live without continuous AF (and anti-shake).

So lastly think about anti-shake with taking macro photos. As the magnification goes up, so does shake.

So the reasons why I invested in the Nikor 105mm VR - although that was a lot of money: I don't normally lug my tripod around.

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:41 pm 
Thanks, you gave me a lot to think about. But...! I have decided to experiment with the manual tamron 90mm lens. It was fairly cheap but also I want to put some zing back into my photography. I started in 1983 with and Olympus OM1n and this was my only camera for 20 years. I love digital but sometimes find it lacks some of the hands on I enjoyed so much with the completely mechanical camera. I'll see how it goes and will put point the forum to any pics I produce. My site by the way is www.simonconner.com

Chances are after some metering and shaky howlers I'll but after that jewel of a 105VR!! We shall see.

Thanks again
Simon