Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Jewelry Photography
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:30 am 
Hi Everyone

I'm a brand new Nikon D80 owner who is very thrilled to have found this site and forum.
I bought the Nikon D80 kit, so it came with the 2 lenses.
• Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Zoom-Nikkor
• Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4 DG
I am shooting costume jewelry consisting of necklaces, bracelets, & earrings. They are natural gemstone and sterling silver. I have the Light Tent with normal house light bulbs. I have tried many combinations of settings but so far I am only getting so-so results. So I decided to buy some more lenses and would appreciate your recommendations. Primary uses will be to shoot product shots of my jewelry line for the web and print. Budget - any

any suggestions you might have will be greatly appreciated.

Jim :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:18 am 

You need a macro lens and a tripod to take product photos. Nikon have a number of macro lenses. The 105mm F2.8 ED VR Micro is very well thought of as is the 60mm F2.8 AFD Micro. You will also find a remote camera release is useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:59 am 
Hi Phil,

Appreciate for your suggestion.
Tripod I already have, Remote camera release - personally I prefer using the self-timer.
Can I use Nikon AF-S 18-200mm VR or better stuck to your suggestion?

Thanks

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:11 pm 

The 18-200mm VR lens has a minimum focus range of 50cm. The 105mm VR lens has a minimum focus length of 31.4cm. It also produces a 1:1 image at this distance. That means that at this distance an object 23.6 x 15.8 mm (the D80 sensor size) will completely fill the frame of the photo. The 18-200mm lens simply can't do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:43 pm 

Hi there.

While I don't know too much about your chosen subject matter I do think it would be somewhat pointless buying any lens featuring VR. The general advice is to switch off VR when the lens is on a tripod so you're paying additional money for a feature you won't be using. Seems daft to me.

Personally I'd be looking at a prime macro but I'm not up on them so can't really recommend one over another.

Good luck,
Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:20 pm 
Thank you both for your suggestions. I appreciate the input....
I’m thinking to get the 105mm VR lens. If anyone has some extra suggestions please feel free to share.

Thanks

Jim

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:58 pm 

Hi Jim, nice you asked!
See my signature as to what I use, and you'll find the Nikkor 105mm/F2.8 VR there. It's a fantastic lens and cannot be touched by the 18-200mm or both of your current lenses when it comes to picture quality at close distances (and longer ones too). So this is a perfect addition, if your problem is to get closer to the gems. But don't take a shorter macro lens, as it gives you not enough distance from your subject (for lighting e.g.).

The other reason for your disappointment may be the lighting. I assume that to bring out the sparkle in jewells you really have to use remote flash(es).

If you post some of your so-so pics on flickr, we can give you more advice...

Last edited by Thomas on Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jim, welcome to the Cameralabs foums!

You're already speaking to the macro experts, so I'll keep out of it!

I agree the 105mm macro lens and some proper lighting is the way forward though...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:05 am 
Thanks everyone, for your suggestions.
Hopefully I’ll have some images to share soon. :) :wink: