Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:43 pm 
I've seen a lot of these vs. vs. posts but this one is slightly different. It's time for my first DSLR and the budget is £500. For that price, (after shopping around), I can get:

a.) Nikon D50 with 18-55mm Lens - £397
b.) Canon EOS-400D with 18-55 Lens - £499
c.) Nikon D70s with 18-55mm Lens - £499

My thoughts are the 400D offers a lot better value for money. Everyone mentions the D80 but that's way out of my price range and I can't afford it. The D50 has good reviews but it's quite old hat now (and the D40 is very crippled), the D70s has conservative colour/sharpness judgments and the EOS-400D is small.

This is a long term investment so I want to get the right brand because I'll be getting one or two lenses hopefully :). I'm not looking at non-Nikon/Canon brands because I bought a Konica Minolta not long ago and was burned when they left the market so I'm sticking to the main two.

I'm slightly inclined towards Nikon brand wise because I've got a F and F50 film wise but the Canon seems a slightly more professional camera and more modern. The D50 felt very nice to hold (comfortable) but such a small screen!

Any help/suggestions/advice is all welcome and well done on such a great site! I enjoyed the side by side reviews but they all point to the D80 which isn't much help

I posted on the Nikon forum since two of the ideas are Nikon but I'm hoping for some Canon people throwing in their view too!

Seb

Post subject: Re: Konica Minolta
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:51 am 

Seb,

You say "I bought a Konica Minolta not long ago and was burned when they left the market".

This may not be relevant but if your decision to buy a new camera was because of a fault in your old (digital) one you might like to visit

http://www.konicaminoltasupport.com/Eng ... _en.0.html

My three year old DiMage developed a sensor fault and Sony, who bought the Konica Minolta business, offered me a full refund of the original purchase price because they felt unable to repair it in a reasonable time. Luckily I had the original receipt.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:52 am 
Thanks but my camera isn't under that - it is a A200. I would really like a new camera as I've grown tired of my old one. I went to five camera shops yesterday and I have narrowed my choice to a D50 or EOS-400D. No one seems like the 400D and it gets critised a lot. It strikes me the D50 is older technology and will be dated sooner than the 400D.

The D80 is out of my price change so what recommendations does anyone have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:03 am 
How about a D70S? There are still some of these around, Jessops are selling the body with the Nikkor 18-70mm lens for 499 pounds.

Just picked up a D70S myself, imported the 18-200mm DX VR lens too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Seb, welcome to the forums!

'no-one seems to like the 400D'?

Crumbs, that's a bit harsh! It's a fantastic DSLR and highly recommended. The only reason the D80 beats it in reviews is becuase it's a slightly higher-end camera with a price difference to match. If you can afford the D80 - and crucially - would exploit its extra features, then it's the better choice. But if you can't afford it, or wouldn't make use of its extras, then the 400D is a superb camera to go for.

As you've realised though, a DSLR that was recommended a couple of years ago doesn't suddenly become a turkey. So if you find a good price on a D50 or D70s, then they're also good choices, but I'd be looking for a great deal. It's a highly competitive buyer's market right now.

But if you've narrowed it down to between the D50 and 400D, my vote would be for the 400D.

Gordon

PS - just to confuse you further though, if you're also looking at older, dicounted models, don't forget the 350D. Check out our Buyer's Guide at

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/budget_DSLRs/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:14 am 
I eventually managed to push out and get a D80 with 18-70mm lens. I loved the feel of it so much more than the EOS-400D and I couldn't face getting nearly a two year old model so I'm ecstatic as you can imagine!

Thanks for your help and I'm sure I will be back soon.

Seb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:49 pm 

Congrats!
I'm shure that you'll be a happy D80 user and feel no regret about the extra budget that you invested...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:02 am 
Site Admin

Hi Seb, good choice.

The D80's a great camera, and as you'd have seen on the review, the 18-70mm is a superior 'kit' lens. Don't become a stranger now you've bought it though! Come back and tell us how you're getting on with it and advise other people wondering about their first DSLR!

Cheers!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:39 pm 

Hey Seb,
it's time for your first appraisal of your new acquisition!
And don't tell us, the weather was to bad to take some first shots...