Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:16 am 
I looking for a polarizing filter for my 18-200vr and as their usually pretty expensive I was wondering if there's a particular brand I should be going for. I've heard that B+W/Nikon make very good ones as they're thinner and reduce the potential for vignetting, but they're also *really* expensive.

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:29 am 

I got my 72mm Hoya HMC Pro 1 Circular Pol at around 55 EUR, currently different shops in Germany and Austria are offering it at that price. The quality is excellent. So have a look around.
The standard-quality from Hoya is at 45EUR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:35 am 
Hmm, I'm having trouble finding anyone stocking that.

[edit] Well I've found a couple of places but they're charging £90 plus for it. I hate the fact that the UK are always expected to pay so much more for things. argh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:20 am 

You can do better than that: www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_/203-80958 ... izing+72mm for 40GBP!
Not sure which quality it is, but that should get you on the right track...

If you buy in Austria or Germany (e.g. http://www.digipfeil.at/onlineshop/prod ... -Pro1.html) you have to add at least 20EUR shipping and handling, but still it would be below 90GBP 8) . If you need help this way, ask me!

Go through http://astore.amazon.co.uk/gordonlainggl-21, if you buy at amazon. That would help Gordon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:42 am 
tombomba2 wrote:
You can do better than that: www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_/203-80958 ... izing+72mm for 40GBP!
Not sure which quality it is, but that should get you on the right track...

They look like the normal Hoya Polar filters. Cheapest price I've seen for the Pro1 filters is on the Digipfeil site you linked to. When I'm ready to buy I might give you a nudge to help with the german translation if that's ok? :)

Thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:18 pm 

I'll support everything that drives inflated prices down 8)
But I'll never support unreliable dealers :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:26 pm 
Are they unreliable then? You linked me to them after all! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:49 pm 

No, they have an excellent reputation. Was just making a general remark, when selecting a dealer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:50 pm 
Ahh ok. Good to know. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:23 am 
Let us know how you get on - if I do the jump I may well be after the same filter.

My tips for finding a reliable online deal & delaer:-

Quality of web-site - if it feels good and navigates well suggests they have the resources to do the job properly.

Visibility of post and packing charges - if you have to travel half way to check out I think this is dishonest. I like post included prices and trust such dealers more.

Address and phone number available - if not I am wary.

Ask them a question - the speed and quality of response will tell you a lot.

Do they have a shop somewhere? May not make them a better dealer, but you have a door to bang on if it goes really wrong (bigger purchases).

I only buy from Hong Kong when the prices are pennies - like £5-50 deliverted for 2 IXUS batteries. If it never arrived, I'd not loose sleep, but they did and they work! Sending back faulty stuff to HK just is not worth the hassle.

I have not been let down using this approach over the last 3 years or so and have bought a very large amount on the web over that time - from curtain poles to hi-fi and cameras.

Worth paying 5-10% more to buy locally in the end or one day we'll have nowhere to try out the gear in the first place. (Note to self - listen to your own advice !!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:48 am 
[quote="tombomba2"].....

If you buy in Austria or Germany (e.g. http://www.digipfeil.at/onlineshop/prod ... -Pro1.html) you have to add at least 20EUR shipping and handling, but still it would be below 90GBP 8) . If you need help this way, ask me!
quote]

Hi Thomas,

I would like some help here ! Can you confirm that this is the full "top spec" Hoya Super HMC Pro-1 Circular and also what their price is for the Super HMC UV(0) in 72mm. How could I get to check out without much German language? In the UK the prices for the Super HMC Pro are just rediculous.

I have "nearly" bought a D80 and am on the list for the fabled 18-200 - my local shop had one on the shelf 2 days ago and I missed it - doh! Now I go on holiday in 2 weeks and wonder if I buy a kit with 18-70 and sell later or wait! But I thought I should buy the filters in good time at a sensible price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:03 am 

ffordes have an 18-200mm lens in stock at £549.99 if you are interested. I have bought a camera bag from them in the past and was very happy with their service. I have also heard a lot of good things about them from others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:27 pm 
Hi NickNick,

Not sure where in the UK you live but there's a small camera shop (London Camera Exchange *) in Colchester that regularly seems to get stock of the 18-200mm VR. I walked in and they just had one and from what the guys in the shop were saying they get a regular order every couple of months. I don't know if they have one at the moment but if you're not too far away it might be worth a trip if you're interested.

*Address and phone number are a little further down on that page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:52 pm 
Tombomba,

Can I get some translation help please? :)

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/904/ ... hotph7.gif

In the screenshot above, what does the "Nachnahme" option mean? On the previous screen, it already asked me for my postage option (Versand nach GB - 15.10 EUR?), so I'm not sure what this other option is...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:24 pm 

"Nachnahme" means that you pay for the ware when you get it. Normally the local postman collects the amount due and charges some extra money for the Nachnahme-service (in Germany an additional 2 EUR).