Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Image Quality Modes
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:02 pm 
Have being playing with my new D80 over the last couple of days, so far just messing about am really pleased, focus is very fast and shutter lag is a dim and distant memory.

Anyway decided to do something serious with it and photo my old camera to put on ebay. I set the D80 to basic quality and small file, but when I uploaded the photos to the PC I was surprised to see how large they were and how good the quality was.

My question then, which JPEG mode should I use everyday, the photos will either be printed by the camera shop at 6x4/7x5 or me at upto A4.

With my old 4mp Z3 I set it to the largest file size and fine detail, will I need to do this with the D80. What JPEG mode do others with the D80 use and for what.

Thanks

AJH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:02 pm 

Hi AJH,

before I became a RAW fan I used the JPEG Fine mode in my D80. You certainly don't want to loose any details on your precious pics. Today memory should not be the limiting factor.
So - unless you're in a mem-crush on a holiday - invest the 4-5MByte per picture to get good quality out of your D80.

If however you want the max. switch to RAW and take the combination of "NEF (RAW)+JPEG Nor". That is about 10-11 MBytes with the jpeg having 700kB at a size of 1936x1296 which is very convenient on 16:9 HD-Tellies or monitors and for uploading to flickr or other websites.

The RAW format can then be post-processed on your computer (e.g. with Capture NX, see here). There are a lot of advantages to it, esp.that you have to bother only about the right exposure and can do white balance, sharpening, saturation afterwards!!

So think about it :idea: