Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon D40
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:45 am 
Seems a new entry level Nikon is coming:

http://stock-photo.blogspot.com/2006/11/nikon-d50-replacement-d55.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hi John, you're right the D50 is getting on now, but I'd be very surprised to see a new Nikon DSLR in the shops this year.

The D80 is also arguably more a successor to the D50 than it is the D70s - the build, controls and design are quite close to the D50 as discussed in our review.

That said, Nikon should have an entry-level DSLR in their range and the D50 is ripe for an update. I still think the D50's a great option for anyone considering a budget DSLR though, especially as it currently costs lttle more than a superzoom all-in-one. That's great considering the low noise performance and ability to swap lenses.

There's current pricing at the bottom of this page:

www.cameralabs.com/reviews/NikonD50/

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi John looks like I might be proven wrong very soon!

It's still unconfirmed rumours, but looks like Nikon will announce the D40 on the 16th November and may even get it in the shops before Christmas. We'll publish full details if or when it's officially confirmed.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:34 am 
I just don't get who a 6 megapixel DSLR is aimed at? :? If price was really an issue, I'd go for a superzoom instead. Otherwise, it's hard to beat the current crop of 10 megapixel DSLRs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:06 pm 
Hi Papa L,
I've got to agree with you there. Apparently it's targeted at point and shooters who want to upgrade to a cheap DSLR but you're hard pushed to find a 6MP compact nowadays let alone a new DSLR. Ok, I know it's not all about megapixels but I think they'll have a tough job convincing their target market of that. And as mentioned often in this forum, there are some very compelling reasons for going for a superzoom / bridge camera.

Personally, I'm going for one of the 10MP DSLRs with the hope I'll get a fraction more use out of it before I inevitably succumb to the newer, shinier, go faster version. :lol: Ha ha – I haven’t bought my first DSLR yet, and I’m already thinking of an upgrade!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:37 pm 

Now, HikerGal:
Then, just go buy the D80, don't loose your sleep about the D40...