Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:58 pm 
Hi, camerlabs, Thanks for some great reviews. I'm a keen, but novice photo taker. I've been into digital photography for a while previously owning (and still have a Pentax ME super), my digi cameras are a Sony DSC-V1 and a Fuji s5000.
I would like to take my interest in photography to a much higher level, and can now aford to buy a DSLR, after reading many reviews and expressed opinions on this site and after spending to much money on magazines, which led me to this site. I am now 99.9% decided on the Nikon D80, I would love the Nikon 18-200 lens but 1 its hard to get hold of and 2 I cant afford it!.
So I am considering the 18-135 kit lens as I think this will cater for most of my needs, previously favouring a (28 -105) lens on the Pentax. and if I can afford it in a years or twos time buy the 18-200 or 70-300. I have read the opinions ie consider not buying the 18-135 in favour of a smaller prime lens opting for the 18-200 when the funds allow, but felt for me this may be a year or two and the 18-135 will give me greater scope and a fairly decent range to play around with in the mean time, I dont envisage changing the lens very often if at all to start with so the plastic vs metal ring probably isn't a problem, I can see from reviews that the 18-70 lens gives more than adequate pictures for my needs, I assume this will be the same for the 18-135 (any one out there with this setup views appreciated)
After all this rambling I get to the final quandry my budget would however allow me to buy the D80 body only and an aftermarket Sigma or Tamron 18-200, I have found reviews on these lenses but not in comparison to the 18-135 kit lens, I would love the extra zoom range but I guess my question is are these lenses going to give me the quality, speed etc of the 18-135 Nikon lens. I assume the Nikon lens is better ??

any advise / opinions appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:14 pm 

As far as I've seen, there is no review out yet for the Sigma 18-200 WITH anti-shake. I'm a lucky owner of the Nikkor 18-200 with VR and I absolutely love the VR (aka anti-shake).
If you're on a budget, I'd suggest
(a) either waiting for a serious review of the sigma with anti-shake and decide then
(b) or buying the 18-135 kit lens and reselling it later when you can lay you hand on the Nikkor 18-200 VR
(c) or extending it with the nikkor 70-300 VR at a later point in time

But don't forget:
1. Anti-Shake is also very helpful in the sub 135mm range, even shooting with 18mm in very low light conditions (aka "vllc" :D )
2. with 18-200 you normally don't have to change lenses, losing precious time, and/or carrying other lenses around or worse leaving them at home...

So, my personal recommendation is (b)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:58 pm 
Cheers Thomas, thanks for your views. I was actually thinking of the non stabilised 18-200's but now you have me thinking of other options I'll have to look into costs.
I think, however I will go for the 18-135, option and then upgrade later and could always sell the lens at that stage as you say.
I've been waiting since the camera came out to buy it and although reading up and researching something is very interesting I'm getting to that stage I just want one to play with!!
I'm just a little concerned reading some reviews that the 18-135 isn't that great a lens. I cant really afford to stretch my budget, and dont think in the UK could lay my hands on that lovely 18-200 VR if I wanted to.
Equally though I but dont want to be wasting my money on the 18-135 if I wont be happy with the results.
I imagine a lot of reviews concentrate on the absolute limits of the lenses capabilities and for the enthusiast/hobby photographer I probably wouldn't see any flaws it may have its only when pushed to it limits or compared side to side with the more expensive lenses that these problems would show up.
I guess the results with that lens will be far superior to those I can achieve with my present setup, in any case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:46 pm 

Looking at
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showprod ... 993/cat/13
I could not find much that would keep me from buying the 18-135 as long as you have budget-priority.
I think the D80 body and esp. the sensor and processor is worth keeping a while, so you can easily upgrade to one of those super-zooms at a later stage.
You can also evaluate the worth of anti-shake for you over time: If you find yourself shooting in low light condition (for which the D80 is an excellent body) and/or with long focal length without a tripod, you can make up your mind for the next/best upgrade more easily.

Don't expect to get a lot of cash for a kit-lens back though :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:54 pm 
Hi, took the plunge at the weekend :D , thanks for the link to the 18-135 lens review, it helped make my mind up. Had a good play with it in-store and then handed over my cash!, also bought myself the SB-600 flash unit.
Extremly pleased with the camera and the flash unit, the lens is ok but I've only been able to play with it inside or outside, and at the mo the weather in the UK is fairly dark and dreary so its not going to perform at its best in these conditions, as a prime lens would. Roll on the spring and summer should have had plenty of time by then to make my way through the all the menu options.
The seals along the costline have just started to pup, so I'm off at the weekend to give it it's first proper test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:50 pm 

Congrats and welcome to the D80 club!
Hope you have a lot of opportunities to test your new kit!
Don't hesitate to test the D80s capability to shoot in overcast/low light conditions with its' almost film-like grain at higher ISO.
Have fun!