Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Upgrading to DSLR
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:27 pm 

Hi everyone!
I'm a beginner photographer, I have been using Kodak Z650 and Panasonic FZ30 bridge cameras and now I want to upgrade to a DSLR camera. I've chosen the Nikon brand, but I'm not sure about the exact model. First I wanted D50, with the kit lens of the D70/D70s, but now the D50 is out of market. Now, I am between D70s and D80. In Hungary the difference between these two kits (with the 18-70mm lens) is 350 dollars. Is it worth the difference?
I think for a time, the kit will be enough for me, so I do not want to spend money on expensive lenses.
In order to give me more specific advice, check out some of my photos here:

http://danielhazi.uw.hu

Thanks in advance!
Dani

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Dani, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

We've detailed the main differences between the D70s and the D80 in the verdict of our D80 review here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/NikonD80/page6.shtml

If you can afford it, I'd say the D80 is definitely worth the extra.

Hope that helps!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:12 am 

Very nice photos, Daniel! Looks like you may need a close-up lens or macro though?
350$ is a lot of money. Perhaps a D40(x) set could be it. The D40x is certainly the body with the longer life-cycle than the D70. Plus cheaper than the D80 too, but with the same quality sensor.
Did you read through Gordons review http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/NikonD40x/ ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:15 pm 

Thanks for the advice!
I would definitely think about getting the D40x, the only problem with it is that it can only use autofocus with AF-S lenses, and those lenses cost lot more. I'm really into autofocus instead of manual. I like to set all the other things (aperture, shutter speed, white balance and ISO...etc.) manually, but the focus is auto. :)
Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:46 pm 

If you're so into manual settings, perhaps the D40 is not so a good idea, as i understand that this body is esp. good in automatic.
Gordon had some gripes about the effort to control the D40(x) manually...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:11 pm 

Choosing the right DSLR is a difficult job for me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:53 pm 

Hi Dani,

I hear you! I've been in exactly the same situation and although I haven't bought the camera I want yet, I have finally decided which one it is for me!

I went backwards and forwards for ages between the D80 and the D40 and back to the D80 etc. Then I started looking at lenses instead of cameras and I finally settled on the Canon EOS 30D instead.

Maybe you could have a look at it and see if it would suit you. It's been out a while so it's come down in price and you should be able to get a good deal on the camera with the 17-85mm IS lens, which sounds like just what you want. I don't know what the prices are like in Hungary though. From what I've read the image quality is excellent and at high ISO levels, it even rivals the Nikon D200!

You can read Gordon's review here:
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon30D/ but there's no video review unfortunately....Gordon!!!!

Good luck in your decision making...I know it's not easy.
Mark

My Squidoo lens - Images of China

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:59 am 

ChinaMark wrote:
Hi Dani,

I hear you! I've been in exactly the same situation and although I haven't bought the camera I want yet, I have finally decided which one it is for me!

I went backwards and forwards for ages between the D80 and the D40 and back to the D80 etc. Then I started looking at lenses instead of cameras and I finally settled on the Canon EOS 30D instead.

Maybe you could have a look at it and see if it would suit you. It's been out a while so it's come down in price and you should be able to get a good deal on the camera with the 17-85mm IS lens, which sounds like just what you want. I don't know what the prices are like in Hungary though. From what I've read the image quality is excellent and at high ISO levels, it even rivals the Nikon D200!

You can read Gordon's review here:
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon30D/ but there's no video review unfortunately....Gordon!!!!

Good luck in your decision making...I know it's not easy.
Mark

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look at the 30d also. But it is a bit more expensive than my budget allows me. :) Maybe I'll try to find a good second hand DSLR.