Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon D40x review
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:43 pm 

Thanks for your excellent review of the D40x. You beat DPReview and Imaging Resource too! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:52 pm 

Yes, but...
I'd actually love to see a noise comparison with D40x and D80 on comparable settings. Otherwise the D80 looks like she blows the D40x out of the water...

Last edited by Thomas on Thu May 17, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:50 pm 

I would like to see that too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi guys, the D40x is primarily aimed against the Canon 400D, so I thought a direct comparison with that model was more appropriate. I did include resolution and noise results for the D80 though for comparison and you can always open another window from our D80 review to see more samples.

Every time we test a new camera we have to select an appropriate rival and request it from the manufacturer in order to take a new set of comparative outdoor shots at exactly the same time - and wait for a good weather day too!

This is very time consuming but I believe it's crucial to compare performance with real-life outdoor subjects taken under natural light at infinity rather than comparing outdoor shots taken on different days or relying exclusively on technical charts taken under studio lighting at close range. It's also what makes our reviews here different from most.

I agree a direct outdoor comparison with the D80 would have been interesting, but I was unable to source one in time for this test. I hear what you're saying though and will do a head to head between the D40x and D80 in the future! You can't say fairer than that!

In the meantime both the D40x and D80 have the same sensor, BUT different image processing. The D40x colour, contrast and sharpness is much closer to the D40, and has everything turned-up for punchier output by default. The D80 is more subdued.

BUT you can tweak each of them to deliver very similar output, so I'd say there's very little if anything between them in terms of image quality. I certainly wouldn't choose the D80 over the D40x thinking it will deliver better quality photos, because it doesn't.

The D80 does of course have many other benefits though which we've listed in the D40x verdict. It is by far the better camera, but they are potentially equal in terms of picture quality.

Hope that helps!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:30 pm 

Gordon I'm looking forward to the head to head between the D40x and D80. Thanks.