Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:44 pm 
I am posting here because I will eventually be buying a Nikon DSLR (D40, D40X or D80).

One of the things I want to do is print large blow-ups of my pictures, about 1 meter square (40"x40"). I would like now to obtain some images that I can experiment with as far as upsizing and printing goes. I really only need one of each size. The idea is to resize them and apply PP treatments to minimize loss of resoultion, then print a samll section and see how it looks from an appropriate viewing distance.

Images on the web are mostly reduced in size of course. Does anyone have an idea where I might find full sized originals?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:53 pm 

Here are some pics in the original jpeg-fine format as it came out of my D80 with no special postprocessing (all at factory default):
Image Image Image Image
tree JPG / swans JPG / trees JPG / canal JPG (5MB, 10MP)
find others here

The following pic is in Nikon-RAW (=NEF) format to give you the "most original" piece of file to experiment with. You'll need a program to handle the Nikon RAW file format though. You can do this with Capture NX, which has a 30 day trial version.
It's a nice test of resolution at 160ISO, because all the twigs show how sharp the lens (18-200mmVR) plus cam (D80) is at 95mm, f5.6, 1/500sec:
jpeg fine 3872 x 2592 (1.4MB, 10MP)
original RAW (10MB, 10MP) (right-click on the link and "save target as..." dsc_0187.NEF!)
Unfortunately flickr doesn't accept RAWs. Plus I don't know a way to filter flickr for original sized photos...

Is that what you need?

Last edited by Thomas on Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

Nice work Thomas!

One trick I've used in the past is to go into a camera store with your own memory card and take a few photos with one of their demo models outside the shop - with the staff keeping an eye on you of course! Photos of high-streets or store interiors aren't ideal, but they do let you easily acquire some images for evaluation later...

It's also worth remembering most photographers love to talk about their kit. So you could strike up a conversation with another photographer who's got the kit you're interested in! - I was once hiking in a park with a Canon 5D when I bumped into someone using a 20D. He was thinking of upgrading, so I let him pop his card in the 5D and take some snaps. Similarly I spotted someone using a lens I'd always fancied and he let me put it on my body for a few minutes and take some pictures.

Again it's not ideal waiting for someone with a D80 to just walk past, but you'd be surprised how many of these popular models you'll see at landmarks and touristy destinations...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:15 pm 
Thanks Thomas for the images. They are just what I want.
And thanks Gordon for the other ideas.

I found that I could convert the RAW file using a Photoshop plug-in. The resulting TIF image, expanded using 'bicubic smoother' to 100x100cm at 240 PPI takes up 390 MB, using JPG compression at maximum quality the file size is 42 MB.

The quality is still perfectly good so it works with 10MP images. I'm going to experiment with a 6MP picture just to see if the D40 would come into question.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:45 pm 

Hey Nick, don't forget that the D40x is out now and Gordon has a nice review of it: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/NikonD40x/
Maybe that's also aviable alternative for you?