Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: filters for my D200
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:55 pm 
HI Gordon ! Hi Thomas !
Whats the difference between these 2 ? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/10 ... y=16&Go=Go

What is a polarizing filter ? When do u use them ? What do u use them for ?
Would i really need them ? might wont be a problem this time to buy one...

Thank you !
PS:in case u don't know i have a D200

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:27 pm 

Hi Bulls23_mj!

What polarizing filters do for you is pretty much explained by the sample shot on the : Amazon web page. Just click on the rightmost image at the bottom of that page to change view.
1. It makes water or other reflective surfaces translucent
2. It generally saturates the colors under bright sunlight, where e.g. leaves reflect much blue light from the sky. The pol-filter filters out the reflected blue light and the leaves become their more natural green.
Watch out: you have to turn the filter to a certain angle to get the effect!

As to the different offers from Amazon: The set contains the cheapest fol-filter from Hoya, the other one is the highest quality pol-filter from Hoya.
What's the difference in quality? The cheaper one seems to have a broader rim and is therefore more likely to cause vignetting at wide angle lenses and its coating is certainly not of the same quality. A better coating results in less ghosting and flare and a higher contrast. You have to remember that a modern lens already contains some 11-17 elements many of them with reflective surfaces where the light entering the lens bounces back and forth without going the proper way through the lens. If you add another layer of glass through a filter, you risk more reflections and stray-light.
BUT: The price for the better filter is certainly a bit over the top. I got mine for around 55EUR.
Two further remarks:
1. In general, Hoya is said to build good quality products - and my filter certainly is...
2. You should never buy a "linear" pol-filter! Always stick to the "circular" type!!

Also looky here: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=401

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:42 pm 
in less technical terms - In landscape photography, a polar filter gives you that "chocolate box" picture look. Deep blue skies, white clouds, lush green grass and leaves. This assumes a sunny day of course. Its a bit like, but better than the "vivid" setting on your camera.

In a really clear sky in the mountains, you can almost get part of the sky to turn black! It can look like bad vignetting if you frame it wrong, but its rare you'll get a day that clear.

Also reduces blue haze very effectively in certain conditions.

I love them, but the cost for large Hoya Pro is frightening in the UK. But for me its one of the benefits of having SLR is to be able to use one.