Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon D60 vs Nikon D80
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:08 pm 
Hi everyone. Looking to purchase 1st DSLR and will go with lens kit -- looking for 2 lens 18-55 mm & 55-200 mm VR. Interested in taking indoor volleyball, outdoor sports, animals & landscape, as well as family photos. Confused as to which camera would be better - D60 or D80. Any advice? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:26 pm 
Hey rah82,

first of all: welcome to the forums!

Before sharing some ideas, let me confess a bias: I have the Nikon D40 with the 18-55mm kit-lens (not VR) and the 55-200mm VR). I take pictures similar to the types you mention (although not volleyball). I'm very happy with what I have and do not feel the differeces between the D40 and the D80 body is worth the price-difference. Others - inluding many here - have completely different priorities than I and value features, build etc. differently than I do.

I got some pictures posted in the various threads in these forums, but they are very likely not to reflect the full potential of the D40 I have - but at least you can see what another relative newcomer to D-SLR photography can do with it.

As far as the potential for image quality goes, they are as identical they can be without actually being the same camera.

The D80 has a sturdier build, composition grid (tic-tac-toe lines in your viewfinder, built-in flash command, built-in auto-focus motor and bracketing (three shots rapidly fired with slightly different exposure values, thus increasing your chance of getting one "just right").

The D60 has more built-in editing modes: star filters, sepia tones..things like that. It also has built-in time-lapse photography (take 1 shot every X seconds and bundle it all into a movie).

I'd strongly suggest that you check out Gordon's in-depth reviews of both to guide you further.

It's also a good idea to go to a shop and actually handle both - it often makes the choice a lot clearer.

The D60 comes with the 18-55mm VR lens - the newer sibling to the previous VR-less kit-lens that is largely identical.VR (Vibration Reduction: allows you to go hand-held for another 3-4 F-stops before needing a tripod to avoid camera-shake).

The price-difference (body alone) between the two is not very huge (but noticeable). Some would suggest that you should focus on the glass/lenses first, then the body. Camera bodies (with their assorted features) are evolving at a higher pace - mostly because of their tie-in with computer-tech). The glass however, doesn't evolve as fast.

In your position, you might also consider the Nikon D40 and D40x. They 90% identical to the new D60, but for a few features. They are noticeably cheaper.

If you can get a D40 (6MP) or D40x (10MP) body with the 18-55mm VR it will very likely be noticeably cheaper than the D60.

Such a set-up, compared to the D80, will have a noticeable price-difference that would then allow you to consider other items such as:
- tripod
- flash
- another lens to supplement: sigma 10-20mm for the wide shots

I wish you good luck with your choice - they can all produce great shots for you.

When you've made your choice, I hope you will share some shots with us here in the forums :-)

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:20 pm 

Hi rah82,

May I add my own warm welcome.

As you have already decided on the brand (Nikon) I've moved your post into the Nikon forum, where you will get the most knowledgeable replies.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:14 am 
I would worry more about the lenses. I would probably get a better lens, than worry about a body. Such as the 18-200mm VR? Then see what you will be able to spend on the body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:18 am 
I second to Gatecrasher.
you can't be wrong with one of those. Unless you want to use a non AFS lens then go for D80.

sorry for my english.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:23 am 
Site Admin

As you're intending to do lots of sports photography, I think you'd find the 11-point AF of the D80 more effective than the 3-point of the D60...

Also make sure you read this!

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon ... dict.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:06 am 
Gordon is very right here. The D80 is far more suited to action photography with the superior AF system over the D60.

Good glass will always be more important than the body, and this is where most of your investment should be in; the D80 will give you a more flexible option for glass with the in-built AF-screwdriver motor. The price difference between the D60 and D80 is a no-brainer. Spend the extra on the D80 for a more rounded package but make sure when you do this that you don't cut corners by spending less on the glass. If the D80 is too expensive, then get the D40 which will be better value for money over the D60.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:33 pm 
Don't forget the cracking viewfinder on the D80 - that did it for me.

Try then side by side in a shop - if the difference doesn't bother you, ignore me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:54 am 
Hi Guys!

Sorry to side step the issue here. As I'm new to DSLR, may I know what are the advantages of an 11point auto focus against a 3 point auto focus, as in the case of the D80 & D60?

Can a beginner do panning shots of a moving vehicle on a D60 or D40 and get an almost similar result from a D80 if technique is constant?

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:14 am 
Hey zac69,

The advantage that 11 AF points offer is the ability to tract more erratically moving objects inside the frame.

The 3 AF points on the D40/x + 60 are lined horizontally in the center of the viewfinder. The 11 AF points in the D80 covers horizontally in more increments and also a wider vertical range.

If you're zoomed in and tracking an object that moves erratically, the pattern of 11 AF points are more more likely to hold the focus on the object.

A car, moving in a line or curve inside your viewfinder, can easily be tracked with only 3 AF points. A hare sprinting and bouncing on uneven ground in a field of brown wheat, will move more erratically and it's color-scheme will blend in more with the wheat, so the extra AF points can come in handy.

AF points - few or many - will not assist the photographer with keeping the moving object within the frame though, so decent panning technique is required even if you have the 51 AF points of the D3.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:31 am 
Hi Lah Lah Sr

Thanks for the reply. It make sense to me now. :)