Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:43 am 
Well, just ordered my Nikon D80 body and I'm dying to order my lens/lenses so that they arrive around the same time. I'm completely torn. I don't know whether I should get the 18-200vr lens and start with that or go with a combo of 18-70 and 70-300vr. I do know that they are all great lenses but the 18-200 doesnt perform very well at wide angles. Every review of both the 18-70 and 70-300vr have been great to say the least. One reviewer on youtube even said he returned his 18-200mmVR and went with the 18-70 and 70-300 combo because he tried them and loved them so much :?: .

This is getting too long..sorry. All opinions welcome. Also, this is my first post so hi guys/gals :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:03 am 
Site Admin

Hi RazerOne49, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

If you have a look through some threads in this section (and maybe the buying a new camera section), you'll find some thoughts on the 18-200mm vs the 18-70 plus 70-300mm.

Basically it boils down to the convenience of a single lens with VR across its whole range (the 18-200), or the extra reach of the two lens combo...

I'd also have a look at this article which compares the 18-200mm and 18-70mm...

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikko ... roup_test/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:27 am 
will do...thanks Gordon. You're the man!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:09 pm 
Hi RazerOne and welcome to the forum!

I haven't had the chance to try any of those lenses but I know that they have a considerably better build quality compared to the 18-55 or 55-200VR.

I think that the distortions of the 18-200 VR could be fixed in post-processing but the 18-70 +70-300 combo might give slightly sharper images.

It might come down to: would you prefer the all-in-one 18-200 with VR at all focal lengths but a bit more distortions or the two lenses with 100mm extra reach and VR from 70mm+.

Hope this can help. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:02 pm 

The answer is very simple, RazerOne49:

if you are willing to carry two lenses around all the time and need the longer reach and the better IQ (from 105mm up), go for the combo.

If you are not always running around with an additional lens in your bag, you might end up in a photog situation where you will curse yourself if you either have only the 18-70mm or the 70-300mm.
In this case buy the 18-200mm!

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Last edited by Thomas on Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:14 am 
ok, that sounds like a plan. just go for the 18-200vr. although, the only other concern i had was if i wanted to shoot flowers, insects and stuff from close...would i get good images with the 18-200vr? also landscape, can i get decent landscape images with the 18-200vr (all until i grow with my camera and eventually add to my lens collection with a good macro)?

thanks everyone...

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:37 am 

Landscapes are very good on the 18-200mm as the sharpness on the wide-(angle) end and resistance to flare are quite good.
But forget macro with this lens:
- does only around 1:9 unaided and not with the best quality
- IQ gets visibly worse when using a close-up lens or extension tube or 2x converter.
I myself bought a Nikon VR 105mm micro-Nikkor after unsuccessfully trying to coax my 18-200 into decent macro-shooting :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:27 am 
oh thats a bummer....there are so many converters, filters, etc. that i thought would do the job but i guess ill just save up for a good lens for super close-up shots of insects and such. ty for saving me money on buying any 1.5x-4x filters for this lens and/or converters.