Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: new D80!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:40 pm 
Hi Gordon and Thomas

I've just got in from picking up my brand new D80 to go with the 18 200 VR lens that was delivered in the week.

The battery has just gone on charge....

Once more, a big thankyou to you both for helping me choose what camera to go for...I'll be reporting back when the battery is charged and I've worked out how to use it!

Cheers!

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:37 pm 

Congrats Tony
for this phantastic equipment! Good luck! Happy shooting and many happy results! Let us hear, what you find out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

No worries Tony, hope you enjoy it!

Remember if you want the easy life to get you started, just put your D80 on Auto or Program mode and it'll do the rest. Have fun!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:43 am 
I see that from decision to delivery is less than 10 days. If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for the 80-200 and where did you get it? And the D80 come to that - I have more or less decided on that already (having started at the EOS 400D too!)

BTW, I don't think that anyone mentioned that the D80 is "just " 100g heavier than the EOS400, but the D200 is twice the weight nearly of the EOS400. That would be just too much for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:25 am 
Hi Nick

Not quite. The lens took longer than 10 days, see this thread

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=345

So, in the end I paid £549 for the lens.

I bought the D80 body by going through the Jessops link on the CameraLabs page and chose the 'pick up from store' option. This is great for several reasons; first it gives this site a bit of support, second you get to pick up your goods from a local store within an hour of placing the order, third the idea of having a local place you can go back to in the event of any problems appeals to me and last, the prices are pretty competitive...I paid £522.75 for the body. No postage costs of course.

So, in answer to your question, I got my set up for £1071.75 all in. If I'd chosen a different lens then I may have been in a better position to negotiate on price, but to be honest, i was just happy being able to get my hands on the 18 200VR.

Good luck with your quest for the fabled lens! My initial impressions are very favourable.

Cheers

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:15 pm 
Tony,

Thanks. Hmm over a grand, and there is the huge UV and polar to get, a few GB of memory cards and a spare battery or two. But I agree, when you are not making huge savings, it pays to buy locally.

By the way, you can get a 4GB Ultra II and reader through amazon for under £40 - its from one of their "affiliates" and the delivery is a few days as its from Germany. Just got one for my IXUS 850. I can now shoot >1200 pictures in superfine. That will keep me out of trouble for a few days. Crazy really - back in film days I'd have spent more on film for a weeks holiday and come back with maybe 200 slides. And you can't re-use them! Cameras were cheaper though.

I'll stop gassing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:01 pm 
I have the Ixus 850 IS too. The good thing about the D80 is that I can use the SD cards I already have.

that seems like a good price for te 4GB II BTW!

Yep, the polariser etc are a little on the large size....but I suppose they're one off payments. ie as this lens covers what I'm going to need for the forseeable future, at least I don't have to buy more than one of each filter....if you see what i mean.

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:21 pm 

If you're looking you can find quality 8GB SD-HC cards for 64EUR (class 2) from Transcend and class 6 below 80EUR from Kingston, Transcend, ExtreMemory. for 86EUR you get the SanDisk incl. SD-HC Cardreader.

I bought mine from Transcend: www.transcend.de
It worked flawlessly.