Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2 days with a D200
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:52 pm 
I have been shooting intensively with my new D200 and a 70-200 2.8 VR lens for the past 2 days.
Must realize that this is the very first time I make use of digital cameras. I took the images as I was use to with film (I did take a lot more actually) I processed them with CS3 ... well viewed them and corrected the light balance mostly.... and the only thing which might be of any use to you is the following thought:

Why didn't I get into this earlier ....

Digital photography is fantastic, the D200 is fantastic, the VR lens even at 150mm+ allows me to shoot at 1/30th providing clear and great images, at 800 iso no noise what so ever .....

One thing however is the DOF which I am fond of to compose in my old film days ... the Bokeh is not as pleasing as with film, but getting into the learning curve of CS3 I will most certainly be able to adjust that ....

I am preparing a slide show of my shot, I will post the link here.... they are absolutely fantastic... I am very enthiousiastic as you might of guessed.

The D200 feels great, the VR lens is great... the results are great....

I have shot 566 images so far, most of them are good ....

Tomorrow I will go out and buy a printer and see what this combination brings ...

cheers all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:32 pm 

Congrats, Cornelius!

Keep your eyes open at DIN A3+printers like the CANON Pixma Pro 9000 or other make. With this phantastic camera you will soon fell the urge to print larger than DIN A4 - like I did!
See my overview here: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=356
And post how you selected what printer in this section http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=27

By the way: Do you shoot RAW? Can you process the Nikon-RAW in CS3?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Cornelius, that's great to hear you're enjoying your kit!

The DOF and perspective you're experiencing will be slightly different with most DSLRs due to their sensors being physically smaller than 35mm film - in the same way that DOF and perspective are also different between 35mm and medium or larger formats.

And if you shoot in the RAW format, you'll also have greater flexibity for adjusting white balance and brightness after the event. Have fun!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:57 am 
I have shot all my pictures in RAW and JPEG in the best resolution and have compared them closely.... what I find is that there is hardly any difference between RAW and JPEG if you manually choose the white balance and not use the automatic setting, this applies for in-house pictures only. Auto Whitebalnce works fine for outdoor pictures. However I will continue to shoot Raws for archiving purposes. I have yet to find a correct workflow.
I also realized that I will need extra hard disk capacity for I will shoot up to 3000 images a month, this will require extra space for archiving as well as backup and my working directory. But then again HD space is cheap nowadays.
As for the printer, I read reviews on the web and have ordered a Canon Pixma 9500 on Amazon, this will arrive sometime next week.
I couldn't resist going out this morning and look at the 17-35mm 2.8 again seeing that this digital photography thing has really taken a flying start with me, so I bought it without actually looking at it, I was in and out of the shop within 10 minutes or so .... I wanted to go out and test it but's it's raining, actually bucketing down..... so I will wait until it gets dryer and go out and test the 17-35mm. There are quit a few other things I would like to purchase, doesn't this digital photography grab you by the balls hey .... long live marketing !! hehehehe

Post subject: Re: 2 days with a D200
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:42 am 
Cornelius wrote:

One thing however is the DOF which I am fond of to compose in my old film days ... the Bokeh is not as pleasing as with film, but getting into the learning curve of CS3 I will most certainly be able to adjust that ....

I presume you mean Depth of Field (Actually I am not sure!) What is Bokeh? And why would digital affect depth of field?

I am interested because a friend of mine is resistent to going digital and I wonder if there are any real disadvantages.