Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:23 pm 
Ok, will this lens work for my D40?

Sigma 170-500mm APO F5-6.3 DG AF Zoom Lens for Nikon AF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

Ok Kriss, sadly that lens won't autofocus with the D40 or D40x.

Here's how you can find out for other lenses.

If you want to autofocus with the D40 or D40x, you need a lens with a built-in focusing motor. This rules out a lot of older lenses, which will only manually focus.

If you're looking at a Nikkor lens, it must have the letters AF-S.

If you're looking at a Sigma lens, it must have the letters HSM.

The Sigma telephoto zooms with HSM are the following:

50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM

100-300mm f/4 EX DG APO IF HSM

120-300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM

70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG MACRO HSM

300-800mm f/5.6 EX DG HSM

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:59 pm 
Wow when i saw the 100-300mm f/4 EX DG APO IF HSM and the 300-800mm f/5.6 EX DG HSM i got exited, but would it work for the D40, and is it exensive, BTW, is there any way i can raise money to buy one of these lens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi kriss, all the lenses I listed above will work on the D40.

You can find out how much any of these things cost from this website:

http://cameralabs.pgpartner.com/

In an earlier message you asked about selling photos. Most libraries will only deal with professional, or at least very experienced photographers - and even then the market is very very tough. But if you think your work is good enough or of a unique subject that people want photos of, then feel free to approach them. Search google for photo libraries and look for the submissions sections for guidelines.

If you have some great-looking photos, you may also be able to sell them to friends and family.

You'd also be surprised how many local shops or businesses may need photography doing, so you could approach local friends and contacts to see if they need pictures of anything.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:22 pm 
i couldnt find the prices, really libraries will sell my photos how much can i earn?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:36 am 
Site Admin

Kriss, you will need to contact the libraries to find out how much you could earn. Some buy the photo from you and that's it. Some pay you every time someone wants to use it.

But seriously you'll be competing against the world's best photographers, so you'll have to be good! And you'll have to take photos or styles which they haven't seen before. Since most libraries already have photos of, say, the Grand Canyon and the Eiffel Tower, they don't need any more famous landscapes or landmarks. Some prefer photos which sum up a feeling or concept, like 'business success' - perhaps of some executives around a table looking happy at a deal they've made.

There's some great books on Amazon about selling photos to libraries, so you might want to buy one of them for some tips... Click here for some of the most popular ones.

As for the prices, try entering something simpler into the Pricegrabber search, like Sigma 300-800mm or Sigma 100-300mm.

http://cameralabs.pgpartner.com/

Gordon