Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon D80 decisions!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:01 am 
After sprawling through what seems like endless reviews, as well as stuff on here I think im pretty much certain i'm going to buy a Nikon D80.

I thought that was the hard decision, but oh no...the options involved!

I was considering buying body only and then buying the 18-200mm lens if I can find one.

But my question is, if you were buying a D80 with a kit lens, which one would you go for? How much would I get back in return if say, I bought the 18-70mm with it and then sold it for the 18-200mm?

As you can tell im a bit stumped on lens choices, but if its of any use I usually take landscapes, climbing pictures and fast moving photography (motorsport).

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:14 am 

I bought the D80 with the 18-70mm lens because it had much better reviews than the 18-135mm lens and has a metal bayonet. I then bought the 70-300mm VR lens in addition. For about the same money you can buy a D80 body and the 18-200mm VR lens. I believe there's one in stock at ffordes for £549.99. I've bought from them before with no problem. I reckon you'd get no more than £100 or so if you traded in the 18-70mm lens at a camera shop. You'd get more if you sold it privately. ffordes have had them on sale second hand in the past for between £150 and £180 so will have been wanting to make a profit on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:44 am 
Many thanks for the quick reply Phil. So really I might be better buying body only and trying to get a package deal on a 18-200mm VR lens?

However, there is one other option which I only saw the other day which is the new Nikkor 55-200mm VR lens which is alot cheaper than the 18-200mm VR but might mean I would have to buy the body with a kit lens for wide shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:25 pm 
Hi Matt

We're in similar positions. I've decided to go for the 18 200 VR lens + D80 body only as I think there's a lot to be said for only carrying one lens around for the majority of the time. you know, less chance of dust contamination, or say, when shooting a landscape and then catching a fleeting view of perhaps a deer and being able to zoom in and get a couple of shots off before it's too late.

I'm getting the lens from the AJ Purdy (back of a camera mag) for £549. It took about 3 weeks for them to source one for me. I'm going to buy the D80 body through Jessops using the link at the bottom of a Camera Labs page to help support this site, costs £525.

Cheers

tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:37 pm 

Hello to all,

as you can see from my sig. I'm one of those happy guys with a D80+18-200mm. If you can get that combination forego the kit and lens you're better of than any deal I could imagine, even if you pay list price for the 18-200mm VR as selling your kit lens always will involves some loss.
And as Tony says and I repeated several times: changing lenses and carrying two is also a penalty not to be overlooked...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:24 pm 
Hello everyone,

Im glad im not alone in my dilemma and that its happened to other people. I think i've decided to go with the 18-70mm kit lens and then get an additional lens at a later date. We'll see what this new 55-200mm VR is like when its been reviewed by Gordon.

Many thanks. Happy snapping!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Matt, I'm looking forward to testing the 55-200mm VR, but for $249 USD it's going to be a budget lens, so I wouldn't expect miracles... I think it's targetted at folk who went for the 18-55mm kit.

Gordon

PS - Tony, thanks for considering clicking through and buying from Jessops using our link - it all helps!