Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:28 am 

I'm new to the world of photography and I live in Hawaii where there are spectacular landscapes to take photos of and I'm looking to pick up a D7100 plus a lens that would allow me to do so. However, I'm also going on a trip San Fran then NYC for about two weeks and I'll be taking pictures of friends and tourist attractions. So I'm wondering what would be the best lens for my purposes. I would love to get a lens that would allow me to take great landscapes but also capture people with the blurred background effect without having to change lenses. So I was wondering if anyone had suggestions. I read somewhere that the Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8G was a good general lens but like I said I'm new to this hobby and looking for suggestions.

Thanks for any help you can give

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:01 pm 

Hello Slevin

For me the best all-purpose Nikon DX lens is the 16-85 f3.5-5.6 VR. It was hardly ever off my D7000 and covered 24mm to almost 130mm full frame equivalent, so good for landscapes and most other things. Its lack of wideness means that it is not as good as the 50mm for some people pics and low light but in all honesty it will give you good enough results for starters. The only doubt for me is how it copes with the D7100's 24 megapixel sensor, the D7000 "only" having 16Mp.

I now have a D600 but if my only camera was the D7000 the 16-85 would be the first lens I would buy.

As always try it out in the shop if you can.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:36 am 

Hi Slevin, welcome to the forum. I guess you can get 100 different answers to your query, it would depend on personal choice of the respondents. The lens warth man suggested although 2 mm better on the wide end is to short on the long end for me as an all round lens where I shoot surfers as well as festivals.

It would depend on how long away your expected subject/objects are that will need to be considered for you to make the right choice on the long end for you. I use the Nikon 18-200 mm and it never comes of the the D7000. Although a bit short for surfing the IQ of the lens allows me to heavily crop my images and still get a good finish.

I use the VR II version and by all reviews the earlier version produces the same IQ except the VR is improved and there is a zoom lock at 18 mm on the later version which I don’t think is a big deal. The benefit of the earlier model is it should be a few hundred dollars cheaper.

As for wanting blurred background effects I would suggest having a look at the quick tutorial on the forum.

http://www.dslrtips.com/workshops/How_t ... ield.shtml

Good luck with your selection and have fun on your trip.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:17 pm 

I agree with both the other comments.

The 16-85 is an excellent lens, very sharp indeed at the wider end and good at telephoto. It's also reasonably compact, though solid (metal construction). It is sharp enough for 24Mp too. But the only thing with 24Mp is that focus just has to be accurate to get the best results and you will probably need to test it out.

I also have the 18-200 VRII and find it to be excellent on 16Mp.

Blurred backgrounds are possible with both lenses, but only at the longer focal lengths.

Both have a focal range that makes them very flexible.

I have no experience of the 18-140, but it seems to review well and is less expensive, though of lighter construction.

You might find the 50 a bit limiting, but it could be worth considering as an extra lens for portrait shots, though the 35/1.8 has the more "normal" perspective.

Can't go wrong with any of these lenses, really.