Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 18-200mm VR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:54 am 
ive been browsing other reviews for nikkor 18-200 vr lens and 2 out of 3 have been low on vignetting, CA, Geometry and macro. Resolution is the only category with satisfying result.

Ive been wonderin if those results really that noticeable when taking photos.i know i dont have the lens yet but i juz need to know your experience with 18-200mm vr.i want to get this lens coz its an all around lens.who doesnt want the convenience of carrying 1 lens that can do all, right?

i hope you can share your thoughts.if you ask me, i think it is a great lens.i juz wana be so sure before i buy it.

hey gordon, are you from new zealand?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:19 am 
Site Admin

Hi Donpakundo, have you seen the results pages of our Nikkor lens group test? You'll find all the results you're looking for there!

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikko ... age4.shtml

Don't forget to click the sub headings to see the various results for corner sharpness, geometry etc...

I personally didn't find any area where it really disappointed. No lens is perfect, especially with such a long focal range, but the DX 18-200mm is certainly very impressive and it's hard to beat as a single all-round lens.

I think you'd be very happy with it!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:47 am 
thanks sir gordon for your advise.i dediding that ill buy 18-200mm vr and 50mm f/1.4 or 85 mmf/1.4 for low lights, portraits. and 60mm micro-nikkor for macro.also im thinkin if ill stick first with 18-135mm lens in case i need to budget to buy the other 2 basic lens for practice?

will this be a good choice sir gordon?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:08 am 
Site Admin

Hi Donpakundo, the 18-135mm is a great kit lens if you are on a tight budget, but there's no point going for it if you intend to buy the 18-200mm in the near future.

If you can afford it, buy the camera and the 18-200mm from day-one.

I'd also advise just buying one lens and using it for a while. This will help you decide if you need anything else. Maybe you will want something wider or more powerful, than one that's better at low light. Maybe you will want a macro lens next. Maybe you will find the 18-200mm is perfect for all of your photography.

It's hard to know what's missing until you actually start using a lens.

Gordon

PS - I'm from the UK, but I live in New Zealand!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:46 am 
that great to hear sir gordon. ill try to buy one lens first hehehe.

one more thing though, what can you say bout 70-300mm vr?it's lower price than 18-200mm.whats great bout 70-300mm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

I've not tested the 70-300 myself, but hear good things about it. It's too powerful to use as a single lens though. You'd need to get it with another lens for general purpose use.

A perfect combination would be the 18-70 and 70-300. These give you a longer overall range than the 18-200, but of course you'll be carrying two lenses with you.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:37 pm 

BUT: You're paying more for the two lenses than for the 18-200 VR, you loose valuable time, switching from one lens to the other, plus you expose your camera body to dust when switching lenses.
Furthermore: don't underestimate the power of VR even below 70mm: With VR you find yourself shooting in available light even at 18mm at 1/4sec!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:52 pm 
thanks guys for the advise.im actually excited bout the 18-200vr.hope it would exceed my expectations.