Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:24 am 
I recently purchased a P7700, and I've just packed it up to return it to the store. It has one design flaw that was unacceptable to me, and I'd like to know how other people feel about it.

After every shot, the P7700 displays icons and symbols on the display for about 3-4 seconds, and there is no way to defeat that (the screen is very cluttered with all the icons displaying). The camera has a DISP button that turns off the icons and symbols, but they nonetheless display for 3-4 seconds after every shot. I take mostly product photographs, and I take them very rapidly. With my old camera, a Canon point-and-shoot, I was able to set it so that there were no symbols on the screen to interfere with the framing of my next shot.

I called up Nikon and they told me that ALL their cameras work this way. Frankly, I am dumb-founded by that. In every review I have read, the reviewer talks about speed (which they incorrectly call "performance") and shot-to-shot times, but what good are fast shot-to-shot times if you have to wait 3-4 seconds for the clutter to leave the screen before you can frame your next shot? For me, looking through the clutter is an unacceptable annoyance.

I've skimmed through several reviews of the P7700, and no reviewer mentioned this. Why am I the only person who finds it annoying?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:08 am 

Surprised they can't be disabled, but how does this work with continuous shooting, do they still show, but only after the burst has finished?

Will the camera not function until the icons have disappeared?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:19 pm 
I tried the three continuous shooting modes without understanding exactly what they were (I've since looked up a definition of continuous shooting, so I understand it now). The screen goes blank during continuous shooting, and that's not the way I want it to work. And yes, after the image comes back on, the symbols are on the screen.

I did some additional experimentation to see if the camera was showing the symbols just while it wrote to the card. I found that the display of the symbols lasted longer than the lock-up of the camera. It took 1 or 1.5 seconds for the camera to unlock for the next shot, but the symbols stayed on the screen for 3-4 seconds.

All of this behavior is very strange because my 7-year old Canon A620 point-and-shoot camera is clearly faster. I can simply run off shots one after the other with no symbols to get in my way (in both cases, I disabled the 2-second review of the photo). My old Canon is faster even though the image sizes are approximately the same. The Canon produces smaller pictures, but the file size is about 2.5 million because I am using the Fine setting. The Nikon produces larger pictures, but the file size is also 2.5 million because I am (or was, since the camera is now packed up for shipping) using it in Normal mode, not Fine. That a camera like the P7700 should be inferior to a 7-year-old Canon is just astonishing to me. (Let me add that I won't buy a Canon camera now because they all produce soft images compared to other brands.)

That Nikon expects people who are taking shots in rapid succession to look through a screen full of icons and symbols is just astonishing to me. I'm still amazed.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:54 pm 
Gordon, what do you think? Like a lot of reviewers, you don't mention things like this. If a camera keeps displaying icons & symbols over the scene you are shooting, despite your having turned the feature off, isn't that worth mentioning in a review? And don't you think that's a significant design flaw?