Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:50 pm 

Mounted and shooting. Siemens-stars already completed.
Produces quite some resolution wide open. loCA pretty obvious. Focus shift with stopping down seems not too critical.
Thinking of doing a short video of focusing from before, through, til behind the object-plane to demonstrate loCA. Problem is how to do this consistently?
Weather's too bad for some quick outdoor shots, unfortunately: "inclement weather", as they say...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:41 pm 

My preview is out!
For a peek at my first impressions of the lens including sharpness results and a gallery of sample images head over
here.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:36 pm 

And here's a shot that shows coma of the lens at f1.4 compared to 50/1.4G and 35/1.4G (from left to right):

Coma_58_50_35_f1-4 by Thomas, on Flickr

This images shows 100% crops from the FX-corner.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:42 pm 

Here's the series from f1.4 til f4:

Nikon58f1-4_coma by Thomas, on Flickr: Coma test-shots of the new Nikon AF-S 58mm f1.4G from f1.4 (left) to f4.0 (right). 100% crop from the FX-corner.
It's displayed at around 70% here, so click on the link and then chose "all sizes" for the 100% crops.

As you can see, you need to stop down to f4.0 to get rid of any strange shapes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:05 pm 

Some additional insight on focus speed: In my test-scenario it focuses in around 0.7 sec from infinity to 60cm, which is not too bad. The 50/1.4G is a tad slower at 0.8 sec.
Interestingly the focus throw of both lenses is very different: while the 50/1.4G has around 190°, the 58/1.4 has a pretty short throw of only 105° which is a little short for accurate focus wide open imho. Don't know how the videographers see it, but I assume that makes focus-pulling also a bit harder than on other lenses, esp. when you're filming wide open.
---
Btw. focus noise is pretty low even when recording with the built-in microphone. Not the very annoying "clack" that many lenses emit when starting a focus-movement.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:50 pm 

I got my hands on one of the Nikon 58mm f/1.4g lenses.

Check out some sample images and advice here. I talk about the 58 vs the 85mm as well.

http://vigorotaku.blogspot.com/2013/12/ ... m-14g.html

<a href=" http://vigorotaku.blogspot.com/2013/12/ ... m-14g.html">Nikon 58mm f/1.4g at Vigorotaku.com</a>

I hope that you find this helpful.

Dan at Vigorotaku.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:00 pm 

Update: My review is now complete after four weeks of intensive testing!
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_58mm_f1-4G/