Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Settings help needed :)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:12 am 

Hello guys :)

I have a Nikon D5200 with a Nikkor 55-300mm VR lens and am interested in shooting wildlife during the day and I need a bit of help with the best camera mode/settings for that type of photography, all input will be appreciated :)
Thanks guys

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:40 pm 

Dear Kingjames.

I'm not quite sure which settings you mean, but for "Picture Control" I tend to shoot neutral settings with very low sharpening and make decisions in post-production. Sitting at leisure in front of a computer gives you a much better chance for decision-making, and you have better and more subtle tools (this not applying for RAW - you do PP on the computer for that anyway).

Physical settings would probably benefit with continuous shooting and a fairly tight focus group in the centre (wide single or 9 point). No beeps, no focus assist light. High shutter speeds. You can afford to do this as the D5200 still has good quality at high ISO settings.

The lens should probably be shot at a wide aperture if your subject of interest in in the centre (isolation of subject) and in low light.

Handheld, use VR but a good tripod (VR off) is better. Saves arm ache if you have to remain in position. The Nikon remote release for this camera is really cheap and helps eliminate camera shake if on a tripod.

Also, consider shooting in RAW if you sdon't mind a little extra PP work.

That's my rather amateurish advice; others will probably have more sage views.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:55 am 

Awesome thanks a lot :) makes sense, that was pretty much what I was doing thanks for clarifying :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:29 pm 

Pretty much as HillaryC recommends, although depending on your subject (how fast it's moving, feathers blowing etc ), VR won't help with motion blur to freeze the action. Also spot, or centre weighted metering will help.