Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:54 pm 

Finally: the successor for the AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D IF-ED from the year 2000 is announced.
The old lens was 90 x 222.5 mm/3.5 x 8.8 in. at 1,440 g/50.8 oz. with 10 elements in 6 groups and got down to 1.45m / 4.8 ft with a maximum magnification of 1:3.7.
Let's see what the new lens offers, apart from the long-overdue image-stabilization.

The official announcement of the new lens is here in English and there in German.

It uses a fresnel element for the first time with a Nikon lens. Canon did this already some years ago to make tele-lenses smaller and lighter.
The new Nikkor benefits from that too: it weighs only 755 g (!) and is only 148 mm long. Quite a feat! Consequently the tripod-mount is an optional accessory and not included with the lens (it funnily looks almost exactly like the Sigma design). The design features 16 elements in 10 Groups which is quite a complex design for a fixed focal tele-lens. It focuses down to 1.4m (with a limiter-switch for 3m) and gives a max. magnification of 1:4.2. Minimum aperture is f32 and the filter-thread is a standard 77mm.
Interestingly there is a warning note on the US-announcement (not repeated in the UK or Germany): "Due to the characteristics of a PF (Phase Fresnel) lens that utilizes the photo diffraction phenomenon, when there is a strong light source within the frame or when light enters the lens from outside of the frame, ring-shaped colored flare may occur according to shooting conditions. This phenomenon can be minimized with "PF Flare Control" included in Capture NX-D."

There is also a new VR-mode: "Equipped with a SPORT VR mode for effective photography of athletes and other subjects that are moving rapidly and unpredictably in addition to a vibration reduction (VR; camera shake compensation equivalent to a 4.5-stop increase in shutter speed) function".

Also new: electro-magnetic aperture mechanism (thus the "E" moniker after the aperture as opposed to the standard "G") and highly durable fluorine coat adopted for the surface of the front lens.

Looks like Nikon has introduced quite a few interesting technologies in a single lens.

It should be available End of January and costs 2000 USD / 2049 EUR in Germany (incl. 19% VAT).

German detail page here, English detail-page there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:18 pm 

There is an example of the adverse affects of the fresnel-element here with a direct comparison what Capture NX-D can do.
The only difference that I can find in both images is a less prominent halo around the strong light sources.