Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Niko D3200 to D600
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:20 pm 

Hi, I'm a newbie in DSLR and just bought the Nikon D3200 two weeks ago. It was a great camera and I was happy with it during the first to second week of use. Started to learn tricks in shooting and I have indulged myself a lot in reading about photography and DSLR camera in particular. As I continue to explore the world of photography and learned able to understand little by little each camera type, especially the Nikon class, I realized that the D3200 is not the camera I really want. I realized that I want the D600 after reading a lot of write ups about photography and camera capabilities. I realized too that the D3200 would limit my learning experience since it's capabilities are limited as well.

I got bored with the D3200 since it's really plain and simple. Don't get me wrong. I need the real stuff about photography not like a"point a shoot" camera. I'm a techie guy so this D3200 is really way plain for me or so I thought. As I said I'm a newbie in DSLR.

So I was thinking of buying the D600 to experience the real world of photography. You know, shooting in full frame and doing those tricks the real photographer does. And have plans to put up my own small photography shop in the future, the reason also I wanted to get the real stuff to tweak.

Is it advisable to people like me to immediately jump in to a High end gadget? Will appreciate any inputs. Thanks.

AF 50mm f/1.8D

Post subject: Re: Niko D3200 to D600
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:32 pm 

Well, that's hard to say. What's right for me may not be right for you and vice versa. The common advice is to invest in lenses, but first figure out what is limiting you before spending anything.

The main reason I bought a 5D2 is because I wanted fullframe for my 40mm pancake lens. (Yes, I bought a $1500 camera for a $150 lens. A very specific scenario.) The truth is, my crop sensor 50D is pretty good, and my best pictures so far have been taken with that camera. Your D3200 is technically newer and superior to my 50D..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:21 am 

The advantages in the D600 relate as much to handling and convenience as to anything else.

Technically, the D3200 is just as capable, when you think how important post production is - and having good software. When you think about it, a camera is just a device to get an image to your computer

"Plain and simple"? The D3200 has plenty of capability. My D40 still does a more than competent job (and I have a D90, D7000 and D800), so you're well set-up with the latest technology.

The D600 will offer some improved image quality (have a look at the review on this site), but in practical terms the D3200 is as good as anything running around and great value.

Looking at lenses would extend your photographic reach (you don't say what lenses you already have).

Also depends on whether you can now swap the D3200 for the D600 - if so, it might be an option, but if not you have a good camera that will still take plenty of learning to get the best out of it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:19 am 

Thanks, guys for your great advice.

The reason really for considering to get the D600 is because of the good reviews I've read in terms of picture quality plus other tricks it offers that the D3200 couldn't deliver..I feel like I'm handicapped with this camera...

Well, considering the price tag, the D3200 is really more than a capable camera. I don't really like post editing. It takes away the natural beauty of photography. Like HDR processed photos, it really look great but knowing that it undergone heavy post processing, it somewhat gives me a less admiration on the naturalistic value of the photo. It's like a woman who undergone an overhaul of her whole body (cosmetic surgery). It's beautiful but unnatural, if you know what I mean. It boils down to our own preferences, anyway.

Another thing is that I am getting an offer direct from the supplier for a very less price. More than 60% off from retail price. Now, that's tempting!!! Here in Dubai, the price for D600 (body only) from authorized Nikon supplier is AED 9000.00. If I can get 60% less, that's huge!

AF 50mm f/1.8D