Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:28 pm 
Well, first thing I want to say is what a great site. I have been looking at posts, soaking up what I can.

I bought my first Nikon..... on a budget. Did think I could jump onto used D90 and get the next gen, and was able to afford D200, Flash, 50mm 1.8 and 70-210D lens. No instead of looking to what I should have bought, please slap me and tell me to use what I have and learn to take good photographs! ("Every cute woman with a camera thinks she is a photographer") I luv that tag..... and yet, while I know I am learning, where the heck should I go next? The D200 has a menu that makes me cry.. guess like photoshop I will start on one thing and learn it till i can do it.

Is is silly of me to submit photos when "assignments" come out on to get feedback? i can look at 500 photos and not know what is the best wedding photo. Guess the eye is in the BRIDE!!. lol

Suggestions? :idea:
Thanks,

miggy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:16 pm 

Take plenty of photos - the best way to learn your camera. Put them up on the computer and critique yourself.

In default of a manual, go systematically through each menu item on the camera to see what it does. You can also learn a lot this way.

Manuals should be available online and instructions should also be available. Cameralabs has plenty of information.

But, start taking photos and lots of them. It's a digital camera - it's what they do best, and no cost till they're printed!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:04 am 
Thank you... I need a poke. Sometimes it seems like an uphill battle.. lol

Thanks! 8) I appreciate ya

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:04 pm 

I just upgraded from my trusty D200 to a new D800, but I am still using the D200 for my original purpose until November – February because of low light conditions. I purchase my D200 about 6 years ago to take my kids soccer photos. I needed an upgrade to cover my son's last season in High School, playing mostly under stadium lights in the winter.

I think the D200 is still a great camera and its capabilities are better than what I am capable of. I was looking at Ming Thein's archives and was amazed at the capabilities of the camera in capable hands.

http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/07/24/in ... ns-d200-1/
http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/07/26/in ... ns-d200-2/

I found trying to learn my new D800 help me learn about features on my D200, and didn't even know I had on my D200. I think the problem was my original approach to learning the D200 and jumping into using it exclusively on the soccer field.

With my D800, I'm reading the manual and books from Safari Books. As I found features I didn't know about I tried in on the D800 and see if it existed on the D200. I found there are some nice features on the D200 and actually started using it too. I like my old D200 and plan to continue using it especially in bright day light on the soccer field where the continued shutter rate is actually 2 to 3 times faster than my D800! I am just getting about 2 fps at max resolution jpg.

Have fun with your new camera!