Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Choice
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:08 am 
Hi,

I am just about to buy my first SLR and have watched and read so many reviews my head is spinning, I am hoping for some straight forward open advice, I did narrow it down to between the D5100 & D3200 and have decided on the D5100.. But unsure weather to just but as a kit with 18-55 VR Lens (£479) or the kit with 18 -105mm Lens (£579) or go with just the body and a lens recommended by you guys??

At this time low light and family action shots are really all i am looking at Auto focus would be nice... but its something i want to get in to as a Hobby so later would add another lens when the time comes

Thanks Mark

Post subject: Re: Choice
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:37 pm 

Markie wrote:
Hi,

I am just about to buy my first SLR and have watched and read so many reviews my head is spinning, I am hoping for some straight forward open advice, I did narrow it down to between the D5100 & D3200 and have decided on the D5100.. But unsure weather to just but as a kit with 18-55 VR Lens (£479) or the kit with 18 -105mm Lens (£579) or go with just the body and a lens recommended by you guys??

At this time low light and family action shots are really all i am looking at Auto focus would be nice... but its something i want to get in to as a Hobby so later would add another lens when the time comes

Thanks Mark

Hey there!! I myself own the D7000 and am very happy with it. THe reason I chose it mostly over the two you mentioned was i liked the weight and feel of it in my hand as well as it felt more solid and sturdy. Second was i really liked the two command dials and screen on top of the camera which makes for very easy switching of aperture, ISO, shutter speed etc. I cant comment specifically between the D7000 and 5100 but it would be good to check perhaps the D7000 being better in low light (or high ISO).

Both lenses u mentioned are good started lenses but wont be great in the low light u said u wanted. For this I would recommend perhaps also adding the nikon 35mm 1.8 which is a great little lens and wonderful in low light for family gatherings, dinners, parties etc and is only $200 US which is an excellent value.

When u commented on action shots, are u speaking of ur kids playing sports, etc?? If u find u are thinking about some action shots where they are a little ways away from you, the extra reach of the 18-105mm may be something u would benefit from.

I would also say the lenses u speak of are good intro, inexpensive lenses and can sometimes be a good place to start until u get a feel of what u like to shoot and then u can always upgrade from there. Sometimes its tough to know when just getting into photorgraphy