Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:42 pm 

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum. I want your advise on choosing a right camera to upgrade. I currently own a D5000 a decent entry level DSLR but I think I have out grown it and I am looking to upgrade. Basically I am into wildlife and macro photography. So I am thinking to upgrade to a D300s the reason being its DX format and it has a decent ISO performance and a very decent FPS. I did a bit of research and I can get a D300s for 1500 bucks or for 1700+ with a battery grip.

Should I go for D300s or should I go for a Full frame camera (D700 since I can't afford a D800 but I think D700 fps is not that good) or should I wait for D400? I know D400 is still at a rumour stage, but I went to a camera store today and a guy there told me that it is real and Nikon will be introducing D400 and D600 soon.

Can you guys please give me some advise.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:11 pm 

Hello vamsi, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
Upgrading to an FX body comes with the additional financial burden of getting FX-capable lenses. Because if you use DX-lenses on a D700 you're limited to 5MP images. With the 24MP of the rumored D600 you'll at least get 11MP from DX-lenses and could perhaps do for a while. But ultimately you need to upgrade your lenses to FX too. Just keep the financial impact in mind.
As to your quoted goals of macro and wildlife photography: There are people who prefer the 1.5x crop factor for wildlife-shots because it gives you more reach from your lenses. I'll give you an example: Say you're happily using a 300mm lens today (e.g. an affordable 70-300mm tele-zoom) you'll need a 450mm lens to capture the same angle of view on an FX body. Such a lens is certainly larger and heavier and most probably also more expensive than the solution for a DX-body. Similar arguments work in favor of a DX-body in macro-photography plus you get the added bonus of a larger dof with the smaller sensor.
Perhaps you should consider a D7000 which has a higher pixel-density than the D300 on a more modern sensor and is a very competent camera and a clear upgrade from your current body. Or you wait until the rumored 24MP refresh of the D5000 or D7000 turns up.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:14 am 

Thanks for the advice Thomas. I have a couple of lenses which I bought based on your tests and reviews in the forum :) . I have a Sigma 150mm macro and a Sigma 150-500mm lens. Although there are other lenses that are better, for an entry level photographer like me I think they are a decent investment and good value for money. I always felt that lenses are kind of one time investment where as the camera body is not. That is the reason why I bought those two FX lenses.

I will definitely try D7000 in store and see how it feels. If I buy a D7000 I can save some money and probably buy a flash or maybe a 50mm or a 35mm lens :D .

Do you think Nikon will come out with an upgraded version of D7000 any sooner?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:52 am 

Well, so you have some FX-capable glass already. That's always a good idea: invest in glass that is future-proof.
It's hard to predict when the D7000 successor will arrive. My estimate is currently towards the end of this year.
But who knows? It might be even longer...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:09 pm 

The D5000 is a most competent camera to do what you want.

I have a D90 (same sensor as the D5000) and a D7000. There's no doubt that the D7000 is slightly better at the pixel level, but in practice I use the two cameras interchangeably.

The advantage of a camera like the D7000 is that it has more convenient controls (instant access to drive modes, two control dials, bigger viewfinder etc), but your style of photography may not demand that.

If you feel the D5000 is limiting for one practical reason or another, by all means upgrade. Otherwise, stay with what you have and concentrate on technique (always improvements to be made there - for anyone).

You have really done the right thing by concentrating on glass.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:39 am 

Hi HilaryC,

Thanks for the advice. You are right there is always scope for improvement when it comes to technique. I will postpone the upgrade. But... I have to buy something :D. May be I will buy a memory card for now :D

My wife will be really happy to hear this :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:11 pm 

That could be a wise decision: Good things come to those who can wait.
...and if you invest in glass think of the future.