Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:51 pm 
My Grand daughter likes the nikon brand and has requested a new one she mentiond the 510.
I asked if this was the best for her thinking more of a little upgrading.
What would be a good recomendation ? guessing here it would have to be an allround and strong camera.?
She indicated a 200 lens would be nice, is the framing important ?? like a full frame ?
Also would it be practicle to get a used top end Camera rather than a lower down the scale but affordable new one?
I thank you .
:lol: Ron B

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:35 pm 

Hi Ron & welcome.

Is it the 5100 you're referring to?
It's a very competant camera & costs around £450 new, but don't get hung up on the body, but focus more on the quality of the glass/lens.
As usual :roll: it will depend on the budget, as well as what she intends shooting tbh. & whether she wants/needs more than 1 lens, certainly to begin with.

The AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED is a very good lens for the money, if she needs some `reach`, but it also costs nearly as much as the body alone.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:09 am 
:lol: Thank you Carlos, yes its that body (the510) she wanted the lens she has been told she would need was a 55 x 300 (does that sound right) I am not sure what photo journos use in the field.......I have seen some pretty scarry looking lens.specially at football.

No I am not sure what she will be doing she had mentiond news photography so I am thinking tough rugged.

On my budget I was thinking the 510 ( what is the P510) am going through Hong Kong next week be nice to go into a shop and act like I know what I am talking about lol.

She did say Gramps we have to watch the budget when I suggested she maybe gets a better Camera.

Would I be silly to consider a much loved used piece of equipment ??/

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:47 am 

The P510 is a superzoom camera and you can't change lenses on it.
The Nikon D5100 has one more 0 and it's a DSLR body.

Buying used is usually no problem.

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:59 am 

Hi Ron.
Apologies, but I meant the D5100, which is an interchangeable lens camera (ILC) & probably what your G/daughter was referring to if she was talking about a seperate lens.

The [u]P[/u]510 is a `superzoom` camera that has a powerful 42x optical zoom lens built in. which is equivalent to 24-1000mm (in 35mm format)

re the 55-200mm lens. It is what's known as a `kit` lens, (if it's the older non VR/stabilised one http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-nik ... s/p1010195 ) which is ok for the money, but not very bright/fast @ 4.5-5.6
Then there's the newer VR version http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-nik ... s/p1018071 which is much better. Also don't be afraid to check out the reviews of non Nikon lenses.

In general, the faster/brighter the lens, the better it is, BUT, at a cost! I still reckon the Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-nik ... s/p1014102 is a great lens for the money, but it might be slightly over budget. If she needs to go wider in the future, she can always save for another dedicated lens :wink:

No probs buying a used body, if you get it from a reputable source, then that may give you the extra money to invest in the glass, which is more important than the body for most folk.

It's a real minefield this camera lark .....& very addictive too! :roll: :roll:

Don't be afraid to keep asking for help advice. Hopefully others might come up with some other ideas too.

Good luck with your decisions. 8)

Are you UK based btw?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:34 pm 
Carlos & Jilko.
Many thanks I have found your comments most helpfull. :) :)
I am an Australian based ex pom ben here for 58 years ( i am 73)
Armed with your advis I am going hunting for a D5100 preff used in great condition and a 300 glass lol
looking at lens now do they come manual and auto?

But I am guessing if she is doing well at her subject neither should be a problem, yes and if she would need any other s I am sure we/she can get them later. We My wife and myself are heading to the UK for a month next Sunday.....going via Hong Kong hope to have a look there and buy on the way home..(there for a couple of days :D :D )