Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:20 am 
Does anyone own a ,200 mm micro f 4 d if-ed, lens I have been studying macro lenses and I'm
totally confused I like the Idea of the 200 for the simple reason that you don't have get
up the critters nose you trying to shoot but some users input would be Great !
salute drecked .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:29 pm 

The 200mm Micro is the finest close-up lens Nikon has to offer. I would not recommend the 105mm VR which is a little sharper, but suffers from severe chromatic aberrations (lateral and longitudinal) that are impossible to correct at larger magnifications. Its predecessor the 105 AF-D is much better in that regard and can be bought used for 300-400 USD. The best macro lens that has ever been made for the F mount is the Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 125mm f/2.5 SL (now discontinued and impossible to find). One of the most recommended macro lenses around is the Sigma 150 mm f/2.8 APO.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:33 pm 

I've heard good things about the 200mm Nikon macro lens too, but cannot comment on it from personal experience.
I use both the Nikon AF-S 105/2.8G VR and the Sigma 150/2.8 APO macro (non-stabilized version).
The 200mm should offer the greatest working distance of all these, the 105 VR offers 15cm @ 1:1 and 34cm at 1:3 magnification, the 150mm Sigma has 20cm @ 1:1 and 45cm at 1:3. For more details see my review here.
Btw.: If you're not necessarily into 1:1 range a very comfortable working distance could be achieved with an old (and discontinued) Sigma 300/4.0: it offers 1:3 magnification at a working distance of around 1m! Some of those old lenses can still be bought used.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:32 am 

From what I've read, the 200 micro is nothing short of an excellent lens, the working distance that it provides really makes it incredibly useful. However, with it lacking internal focus and VR (neither of them being a huge concern for macro work, assuming that you're using a tri-pod and aren't too pressed for time, but if you're doubling it to use it as a tele for sports or action, they really are necessities at times) and third party options being cheaper, you have to question its value. It's definitely a nice piece of glass, but you have to ask yourself if you're ready to drop the dough on it.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams