Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nikon D40X v Canon XTi
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:41 pm 
Greetings. Before asking what might be an all-too-common question, I would just like to say how refreshing it is to see a top quality, user-friendly website. I have been perusing for the past couple of weeks, and this one blows the others away.

Down to business..

I am hoping to enter the DSLR market in the next couple of days (actually entered it yesterday with an ebay purchase from a place in NYC, but am planning on either canceling, if possible, or returning due to faulty warranty and battery information given over the phone). I pulled the trigger on a Rebel XTi kit at a good deal, but then got screwed around by the salesman regarding the aforementioned items.

I am considering the XT, XTi, D40 and D40X
As I see it, here are the main pros for each option...please correct me as you see fit.

Pros for XT:
-cost (749$Cdn) with stock lens
-my father has 2 compatible lenses (up to 200mm)

Pros for XTi (1099$Cdn with stock lens)
-auto cleaner
-bigger LCD

Pros for Nikon, generally (D40X with lens for 999$Cdn & D40 with lens for 799$Cdn) :
-feel, ergonomics (really could notice the difference here)
-more on screen options, including cropping and help info (for D40X only, i think)
-slightly better stock lens

I have come to the conclusion that the feel of the Nikon is far superior than the Canon (personally speaking, of course). However, the fact that my dad has 2 additional Canon lenses really makes me hesitate.

Any advice for a confused beginner? Once a decision is made in the Canon v Nikon match-up, are the respective upgrades (XTi & D40X) worth the additional money? Unfortunately, budget does weigh heavily on my mind (especially considering that I will likely have to pay shipping on the aforementioned debacle). But, if the difference is considerable, I do not mind paying for quality and long-term benefit.

Thank you kindly!

Geoffrey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:43 am 
Site Admin

Hi Geoffrey, I've replied to this in your message in the Canon forum.

Gordon

Post subject: Nikon v Canon
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:57 am 
Gordon,

thank you very much for your quick and informative response. You, of course, are right on all fronts.

I will do some more reading and perhaps then bother you with a more specific question. You must be inundated with such queries.

All the best,

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:21 am 
Gordon.

I will tell you where I am at now.

I have decided to pick between the XT kit (749) and the D40X kit (950-999).

In the end, I am going to head out to the store tomorrow evening, have another boo at each of them, talk with the salespeople again, and then go for one or the other.

My gut says that I would be happier with the Nikon. My mind is warning me about the future cost of additional lenses (where with the Canon, I might not have to incur as much, because of my dad).

All the best,

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:58 am 
Site Admin

Hi Geoffrey, which lenses does your Dad have for the Canon?

Remember they'll all effectively have their focal length multiplied by 1.6 times, so if they're wide lenses, they won't be so wide on the XT / XTi.

Also have another look at the verdict of our D40 review as it points out the differences between it, the D40x and other models - might give you more food for thought. The D40 / D40x for example only has a 3-point AF system, although to be fair in our tests it was fine for general use, and the superb metering more than made up for it.

Also reassure yourself that all the bodies you're considering are great models, so you'll end up with a great camera regardless!

Let us know how you get on,

Gordon

Post subject: lenses
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:00 pm 
Hi again.

Some food for thought. The lenses are:

One is a Canon zoom lens, EF 28-80mm,
1:3.5-5.6 II

The other is Canon zoom lens, EF 80-200mm 1L4,5-5,6 II

Unfortunately, I have yet to research these, which is a bit of a problem, since they are the main draw for me going with a Canon.

I'll check out the site for these models at some point today. If you are aware of these (and whether or not they are any good), your advice, as always, would be greatly appreciated!