Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 70-200mm f/2.8 Lens
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:48 pm 
Hi All,
I'm in a bit of a bind as m not sure which way to go. After much discussion and research I'vie decided to purchase the above lens. I am trying to decide on the Nikon or Sigma (OS) version of this lens. Photography is only going
to be a hobby for me, I don't intend getting paid or ever becoming professional so I'm trying to decide if the Nikon is worth the extra money. I have done lots of research on both lenses but because I've not
use either it is very hard to make a decision. Can anyone on the forum provide me any advice on which one to go for? I've had a look at the VR1 and they are hard to get. I am currently using a Nikon D5100, if you think I don't need it then can you suggest a decent alternative. I am mainly interested in shooting potraits but want the option of zoom for my kids sports and dancing that can sometimes be in low light. I own a Nikon 50mm f/1.8G for portraits and the two kit lenses that came with the body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:18 pm 

I hired the 70-200 VRII for a recent24 hour event. Awesome lens, sharp, good VR, great wide open, build quailty high - loved it.

Still want the 200mm vrII instead though!

See if you can hire for the day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:28 pm 

If your primary use is sports or moving arts, you may want to get the cheaper sigma that's not stabilised. The stabilisation will help you keep the camera steady at slower shutter speeds, but at those slower shutter speeds you'll probably get subject motion blur anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:07 pm 

You've certainly seen my review here. I had also the non-stabilized Tamron version (see review there).
I kep the Nikon because it's simply the best 70-200/2.8 lens for any Nikon body - and I'm not afraid to put it on my next D800.
I love the stabilization and would want a lens that long w/o one. Because it's not always fast moving sports that you'd like to shoot. And then a good VR really helps.
Think of good lenses as investments: They don't lose their value over time...