Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:32 am 
I would like to share to all Photography Enthusiast about the current dilemma I am in. I have a 2 month old Nikon D7000
mounted with an 18-200 VRII lens. I was doing landscape photography, shooting at Aperture Priority Mode @ f8, f/11, f/16 and f/22 stops. I was devasted to have noticed upon downloading the shots on my computer I noticed black spots/dots on the upper right hand corner of the images particularly (you can also see some on the upper left and mid left areas). I have spoken with Nikon NZ (TA Mcalister) and they acknowledge that some of the D7000 units have these problem. It is clear they have failed to inform consumers and are trying as much as they could to keep their mouth shut about this until someone like me and my friend come in to complain. I am just totally appalled since Nikon already new about this issue with the D7000, why are they still continuing to sell them to innocent consumers? To check the photos I have taken with oil spots, check my facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 430&type=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:14 am 

Without trying to be rude, can I ask why you are spamming all threads on the D7000 with the same post, or topic? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:38 am 
Hi oldCarlos,

Non taken, I just want the owners of D7000 and the would be owner's to be aware. It is clear this is a manufacturer's fault, TA Mcalister(Nikon NZ) even confirmed this.

Do you own a D7000? If you do, can you please test some shots at f/22 and see if your camera exhibits oil spots. Thanks. Gordon just emailed me and he will definitely do some test on oil spots in the future.

Kind regards,

xcalibur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:58 am 

Cheers, I wondered what was going on. :?

Funny thing is, when I first got my camera over a year ago, there were a couple of spots on the sensor & what appeared to be a faint fingerprint! I just presumed it was there from manufacturing process & hadn't been cleaned/inspected thoroughly.

I had a rocket blower, but that didn't clean the spots away (they only showed against bright sky, so cloned em out in picassa)

After a few weeks I bought another lens & one of those wet cleaning kits (what a faff to use & a bit daunting for a newbie! :shock: ) but since then, apart from the odd dust spot, I haven't had any probs.

So to answer your question, yes, I think I probably did have the same issue......but just didn't know it at the time. :wink:

Edit; Not related to the camera, but last Christmas bought a 50mm 1.4 lens. After taking a few pics with it, I noticed a grey hair inside it :shock: It had no effect on the pics but took it back to my local shop, who were surprised tbh :? & they sent it to Nikon to `clean`. I got it back in about 10 days, no probs.
Seems that manufacturing in China etc doesn't have the same QC as they did in Japan.
I just hope that quality Vs costs, doesn't slip too far.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:20 pm 

Just an update from my previous post last year re sensor cleaning.

After the initial cleaning & all seeming well for a few months, I became a little frustrated when I noticed a couple of dust spots again, which I couldn't shift with the rocket blower! :roll: So I got out the kit i'd bought & again reluctantly cleaned the sensor (using another 1/3rd of those expensive swabs :twisted: )

This time I couldn't seem to get it `squeeky clean`. :( It was as though there was a film of grease on the sensor, almost looked like oil on water does in the sunshine.
From that day my pics just lacked that pin-sharp quality that I knew my lenses were capable of. :cry: By this time though, Autumn had arrived & good light was in short supply, so didn't think too much of it. (tbh I was HOPING the light was the problem I think )

On now to a couple of months ago, so I decide to clean again (sigh) using up most of the remaining swabs, only to find the same result! NO WAY could I get it smear free & myself completely happy with my bird pics. The feather detail was just not quite as sharp. :x So beggar it, I finally accepted defeat & took it into a local camera store 2 weeks ago. They cleaned the sensor & focusing screen (possibly the mirror too). Dropped off, then collected within 90 mins.....SORTED! The best £35 i've spent. 8) I wish i'd done it last year instead of buying that expensive kit & suffering 6 months of frustration.

I also learned that some of the `cleaning fluids` don't have an infinite shelf life, so maybe mine was part of the problem too?

So in future, apart from changing lenses as carefully as poss, i'll occasionally be using the rocket blower, speck-grabber/actic butterfly DRY methods etc.
IF/when dust specks get bad enough that they annoys me & I can't easily remove them, i'll be taking it back to the store for them to do it.

Sorry for the long winded post, but thought it might help others who are fairly new to Dslr's so you can decide whether `do it youself` or pay up. I know which I now prefer :lol:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:59 pm 

XCALIBUR wrote:
..... Gordon just emailed me and he will definitely do some test on oil spots in the future.

Kind regards,
xcalibur

Just wondering if Gordon ever got the time too look into this?

Have there been any reported issues with newer D7000's ?