Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:03 am 
Hi guys.
i'm searching a new lens for indoor and outdoor event photography, like weddings or party's...
I stoped at this ones...
1. Nikon 28mm AFD, F 2.8 - http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-a ... est-report
2. Nikon 35mm F1.8 AFS- http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-a ... kor_35_18g
3. Nikon 35mm F2 AFD - http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-a ... est-report
4. Nikon 40mm F2.8 Macro AFS - http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-a ... afs40f28dx
I'd preffer 28mm because is the widest from all, but is just 2.8... ok, i will not shoot at2.8, maybe sometimes when i want shallow depth of field but 2.8 is an extreme of this lens. I;m wondering if 35mm F1.8, at 2.8 aperture, is better than 28mm F2.8...
I;m also wondering if 35mm isn;t to "tele" for indoor shooting...
does anybody tried this lenses...
photozone is saying that 28mm has alot of ChromaticAberations... and i don;t know if this things affects me in "event photography"...
I had 18-105 Vr, 18-70.. but never a Prime lens... so this is the first one for me... that's why i;m so curious about performance of this 4 lenses...
thanx a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:16 am 
for the same amount of money, you can get the 17-50 2.8 from Tamron.

I have used all the lenses you've named with the exception of the 40mm.
If you're planning using these for weddings, I'd suggest the widest aperture available.

I shoot weddings full time and I make use of the 28mm, 35mm f2, 50mm 1.8G, and 85mm 1.4D. If I didn't have flashes available, I'd have to go ahead and use the 85mm and the 50mm, mainly because it prevents me from having to max out the iso needed to keep an image sharp.

any D lens, as well as tokina lens, will abberate very heavily. The G lenses handle highlights a bit better.

the 28mm isn't something I'd use when it comes time to shoot the dress as the purple fringing will affect the white of the dress.

you have the same kit that I had when i first started. the d90 is very good at rendering colors and keeping a decent high ISO image. I'd recommend using a zoom with it such as the Sigma 50-150 2.8 and the Tamron 17-50 2.8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:24 am 
i heard a lot of bad things about Tamron... a lot of focusing problems.....
I am planing to buy this ones:
- prime lens.. ( don;t know yet, but i think i'll go for 35 f1.8....)
- all around zoom lens ( Nikon 18-105 VR Or Tamron 17-50 F2.8 )
- Tele lens ( Tamron 70-300 VC )....
my other option was
- Prime lens
- All around 16-85VR
No telephoto lens here...

PS: i would also prefer that what i;m buying it would be useful as well at wildlife and macro... ( my prefered photo subjects ) that's why i was thinking about 70-300 Vc from Tammy because it's ok for wildlife and for portraits ourdoor if the subjects is a lit bit shy... I'm planning to buy some Extension tubes from Kenko for Macro... and i will attach them to my 18-55 lens and i will revers it...or i will buy a 50mm F1.8 AF-D lens for portrait as well and i will do "Macro" with that lens...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:23 am 
I've used numerous tamron lenses. I based the beginning of my career on Tamron.

The focus is fine with the 17-50 (non VC) and the d90. It's another thing with the d7000.

If you're going to be doing weddings, focus on it. Nothing irks me more than when I lose a gig to someone who doesn't have his act together. Are you shooting animals or people? Which one is it?

The 35mm 1.8 is a good lens. Tack sharp even wide open, go with that.

As far as the tamron 17-50, it's a great lens- the nikkor equivalent is worth about 3x but probably wouldn't be worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:59 am 
my hobby is wildlife photography, so, yes, animals :)
i think i;ll buy 35mm AF-S F1.8, along with the Nikon 16-85 or 17-50 Tammy... if i'll go for tammy, i have enaugh money for 70-300VC...