Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:49 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:20 am 

Not directed at you at all! Directed at the inane ramblings of a now fortunately occasional visitor!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:58 am 
I assume i am the rambler because there is only 2 other persons involved in this conversation. Maybe next time be a man and just try not to be political correct.

I think it is a very good lens for the money and i already said that before.
I just said that stopped down it is a bit it is sharper (on my D7000 camera anyway). I own a nikkor 70-300mm VR myself so stop telling me I am rambling.

it is perfectly usable full open,i never said it was not, it is just a tad better stopped down.

It has nice bokeh, nice colors, for the money the lens is plenty sharp enough so just buy it. It's a nikkor, you can't go wrong with that.

There is no such thing as a better lens for cheaper also not from 3rd parties. If it is a F2.8 70-300mm lens from tamron or whatever for the same price or cheaper then the nikkor, trust me you compromise on one or several other things.

You dont really need F2.8 on a tele lens anyway in most situations.
Sure I would like to have a F2.8 tele zoomlens, but only if I had the money for it and I am not going to be one of those unfortunate guys cheapskating down sigma or tamron lane and find out the hard way that I should have bought a nikkor instead.

Also about the VR. You can either turn it on or off so do whatever you want with it (sometimes it can make the photos worse when you turn it on).

@dubaiphil eventhough we apparenly don't like each other i like your photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:50 pm 

LOL - my only concern is that people may take your advice seriously!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:52 am 
There is more reasons why you should buy the Nikon then just the VR.

It has excellent optical quality, autofocus is faster then 3rd party lenses.
Some 3rd party lenses don't even autofocus and if they do, they make a lot of noise and are very slow while doing it. And if you are lucky they actually focus correct but sometimes 3rd party lenses don't focus correct, or AF mechanism jams or something like that.

Also usually build quality is not that great from most 3rd party lenses.

Unfortunately there is not that much choice in tele lenses. You either have a $400 70-300 or a $2000 70-200mm nikkor. Not much in between thats worth mentioning.

And about the VR. It's not a magic tool that solves "all" your problems.
Sure you can have that picture of the flying bird at 1/40 sec shutter speed at 300mm without a tripod, but the result will still be blurred since the bird is moving so you need a faster shutter speed.

Also VR sometimes VR tries to correct things that don't need to be corrected. If you try to photograph that bird at 1/800 sec and your VR is on maybe it tries to correct a little shake of the camera where there is no need to correct it and may cause more harm then good.

I am not saying not to use VR, I am just saying you need to know when to use it and when not to use it. VR is not for moving objects for example (says so in he manual) but you might get away with that if you use it to compensate one or two f-stops in shutterspeed (lets say 1/150-1/250secs, but it certainly won't do any good if you use 1/30 or 1/40 of a second with moving objects. Well unless if it is intended of course such as a waterfall in motion or something.

For me VR is just one more thing to worry about, its both a blessing and a curse.

Post subject: 70-300 MM lens !
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:09 pm 
and you can take pictures like that (@ f5.6 @ ISO3200 I'll have to try
that with My lens

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:07 pm 
I would say trés bien , dubaiphil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:55 am 

I'd highly recommend the 70-300, for the price you pay it's extremely sharp, has fast AF, covers a good range, and is a great tele all around. I had the chance to play with it for a bit a few weeks ago, and upon examining the photos later on my PC, I was impressed with the sharpness.

That being said though, don't expect going in that you'll be getting the performance of a 70-200 2.8 for $2000 cheaper. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for, even if there is some leeway at times.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:50 pm 
I have the nikkor 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 G and it sucks , i'm not sure but above 70mm you have crhomatic aberrations.
This is the cheapest version of 70-300mm, i bought to try it, and play a bit.
The others 70-300 i can't say a word because i don't own one, but they seam great.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:13 pm 

jbaptista wrote:
I have the nikkor 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 G and it sucks

Is that the original AF version? The newer AF-S version really improves on the older version in every way. Optical quality, AF, VR, etc.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:06 pm 
Yes it's the first one. Like i said the new ones should be much better.