Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:08 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:07 pm 

Hey guys, Merry Christmas!! So I got some money and camera stuff for xmas and have been doing some research the last few days. I am new to photography but have recently found out I tend to like taking landscapes so I was looking into wide angle lenses. I am not in a huge rush so can afford something a bit more expensive as I would save up for it.

I was considering a few so far and would appreciate the input... I should note my other lens is the 18-200mm nikon VR.

1. nikon 14-24 f 2.8: seems like an awesome lens but expensive. Also I dont know if its worth getting it for my cropped D7000.

2. nikon 10-24 f3.5-4.5: also seems nice but not as good as the 14-24. still a bit pricey and I was thinking i wanted maybe something with a larger aperture as i might use it indoors or at nightime.

3. tokina 11-16 f 2.8: this was one that really intrigues me. I have the tokina 100mm macro for dental work (awesome lens). Its a better price, has a good wide angle at 11mm and fast at 2.8. Read alot of great reviews on it as well. It also seems more built for dx camera which I have in the d7000 and wont be upgrading anytime soon.

What are ur thoughts on these and any others you could suggest I could look into. I will not too I have a tripod and am also looking at the 35mm f1.8 nikon perhaps for indoor day to day stuff and family dinners etc....

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:49 pm 

I have a friend who has the Tokina and absolutely loves it. This will likely be my wide-angle, once I can justify it.

Nikon D200
SB-600
YN-560 II
YN RF 603 x 4
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8
Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:51 am 

Here is some two cent's for your research.

A wide angle, especially a super wide angle gives you a big foreground an a small background. It's therefore the trick of framing your shot that there is something interesting but not distracting on the foreground. Otherwise you foreground will just be a big empty space.

With a normal wide angle like 35mm you have this far less. Such a focal length may suit your need better. For example Popo's shot of Dartmoor is taken with a 35mm if I recall correctly. See hist topic at http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28982

Therefore a sturdy but light tripod may be a better investment. Also don't forget the new 16-35mm. I own that one, and although it has quite some distortion (that can easel y be corrected) the VR lets you have more DOF hand-held.

Besides that, the tokina is a good choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:24 pm 

i have the tokina and i thinks its a great lens
it only has one fault and thats it suffers a bit with flare, but as long as you know this its easy to avoid