Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:13 am 

hmmmm...you may be right gordon.you are really great. thanks.

by the way, i have found someone who sells d80 for a reasonable price along with the 18-200mm vr. he said that he can trade my 400d plus some cash to level with the nikon price.but it made me think since you said that canon 400d pretty have much the same with nikon d80.do you think it is really worth the trade with 400d for the nikon d80?and also, is 18-200mm great with low light shots?i love low light shots, candid shots and landscape.will those 3 kinds of shot will be accomodated by nikkor 18-200? im just bein practical and thinking this very thoroughly. i cant find any lens in canon that would do the same with nikkor 18-200, if i assumed right that nikkor 18-200mm is great with lowlight shots.can you give me more advice with this one?i hope you dont mind.

thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:31 am 

uhm, if 18-200mm vr is not that good in low light, what alternative nikkor lens, whether fixed focal or not, would you recommend?but i would still get the 18-200mm vr.:)ill just add a lens for low lights.:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:18 am 

The 18-200mm Nikkor VR is good with "static" low light shot, with movement shots you still need to up the ISO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:14 am 

do you mean i need at least f/1.8?how bout 50mm f/1.8 dx?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:15 am 

ahhh i thought bout the wrong one sorry.so if i increase the iso with 18-200mm vr, its ok?is that right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi donpakundo, basically you need a certain amount of light to make a correct exposure. If the light is running low you can either...

1: Use a longer exposure - but run the risk of camera shake

2: Use a longer exposure with a stabilised lens - reduce the risk of shake, but it still won't freeze a subject in motion

3: Increase the ISO sensitivity - but at a cost of reduced quality

4: Use a lens with a brighter focal ratio - ie a smaller f-number. These also tend to focus more easily in lower light, but apart from a handful of fixed lenses like the 50mm, they are expensive.

I guess the big question then is to ask existing onwers of the 18-200mm VR - what's it like under very low light? Does it focus easily? Would you have preferred, say, the 17-55mm f2.8 zoom instead?

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:32 am 

so you mean that 18-200mm vr is not as versatile as, let say 50mm 1.8 or 17-55mm 2.8, in terms of low light portrait or low light landscape?so i must get a lens with smaller f-number to deal with these kinds of shots?ive been expecting 18-200 would not be really an "all-around lens", theres no such thing as a real perfect lens for all kinds of shot but i would want to know what kinds of shot that the 18-200mm vr's weakest at so i can buy the alternative lens for it.anyway, you CANT have it all in one lens right?
so what would you really recommend for low light portrait,indoor candid that only need the available light?
hope you all dont get tired answering all my never ending questions.
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:50 am 
Site Admin

It's not that you NEED a fast lens (ie one with a small f-number) for low light work, it's just that they're better at working under these conditions.

For example, a lens at f2.8 will gather twice as much light as one at f4.

This lets the f2.8 lens have the same shutter speed as the f4 lens but with half the ISO - eg 400 ISO instead of 800 ISO. Or if you're using the same ISO, it would let you have the same shutter speed with only half the light.

The f2.8 lens will also give you a brighter view through the viewfinder, making it easier to frame in low light. It will also let you have a smaller depth of field at the same focal length.

BUT, the f2.8 lens will cost a lot lot more than the slower lens, so it's a case of weighing up the pros and cons.

For example, the Nikkor DX 17-55mm f2.8 costs around $1200 USD, where as the DX 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 costs around $900 USD. Most people would prefer to have the longer range of the 18-200mm and also its stabilisation, which after all, lets you shoot with shutter speeds around 3-4 times slower than normal.

And you'd save 300 bucks which could buy you a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 which gathers four times as much light as an f2.8 lens and leaves you a little change remaining. or indeed the 50mm f1.8 which is even cheaper still.

Once again though, lets hear from those 18-200mm owners - have you had any problems (or great successes) with this lens under low light?

Gordon