Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lens for D40
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:21 pm 
Does anybody know where to get good lens in las Vegas, to rent or to buy.

:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:45 am 
Site Admin

Hi Kriss, I don't know about renting a lens in LV, but any online store will sell and dispatch to LV no problem...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:56 pm 
Are you sure you dont know where to rent one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Kriss, I'm pretty sure I don't know where to rent a lens in Las Vegas!

I've visited LV several times in the past, but never rented anything other than a car! Then again, like most business visitors or tourists, I've never really left the main strip, so there could be a load of camera stores downtown I don't know about.

If you're based in LV, I'd ask at a downtown camera store. Those which sell professional or more expensive kit should know if there's a rental service in town. If it's anything like the Uk though, you may only be able to rent very expensive sports or wildlife lenses, so it's not always a great way of trying out standard models.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:13 am 
Well, whats a goo lens for the D40, one for good use of aviation, and for a good price. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:58 am 
Site Admin

Hi Kriss, a great budget lens to compliment the 18-55mm kit lens is the new Nikkor 55-200mm which has Vibration Reduction (VR) to combat camera shake.

You can buy it from Amazon.com for just 250 bucks. Click the red link to see the product at Amazon.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:00 pm 
Is it good for taking kind of far aviation pics, i mostley like taking aviation pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:24 am 
Site Admin

It depends on how far the planes are from you. If you're photographing them as they take off over your head then you won't need to zoom-in very far at all. If however they're quite far away, then you'll need more magnification.

The Nikkor 55-200mm is a great all-round choice to compliment your kit lens, but if you need more magnification, you might want to consider the Nikkor 70-300mm. They do two versions, one with and one without anti-shake. You'll need the anti-shake version for your D40 becuase the other version won't auto-focus with that body.

Note: If you move the camera to follow the plane while taking photos, you'll need to switch the anti-shake mode to Active.

So here are your main choices:

Nikkor 55-200mm with anti-shake

Nikkor 70-300mm with anti-shake

Or if you want one lens to do everything, consider swapping your kit lens for the Nikkor 18-200mm. It's pricey, but very flexible as it goes from wide angle to telephoto AND it has anti-shake.

Click on the names in red to check their prices from Amazon, and if you're thinking of buying from Amazon, please click through to their site from these links first!

As you can see the 55-200mm represents the best value, and if 200mm is sufficiently magnified, then it's your best choice.

Cheers!

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:33 am 
For the 70-300mm without Anti Shake, is it bad without Anti-shake is it kind of bad? :?: :?: :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:59 am 
Is this lens for the D40 and is it good, because why is the price kind of low. :?: :?:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005 ... 85-3311113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:28 am 
Site Admin

Hi Kriss, I should clarify one of the limitations of the D40.

The D40 will only auto-focus with 'AF-S' Nikkor lenses, and some of those lenses we've talked about are only 'AF' models. This means they won't auto-focus with your D40.

So with that in mind, I'd reduce the list to the following. All are AF-S lenses and all will auto-focus with the D40. All of them also have anti-shake.

Nikkor 55-200mm

Nikkor 70-300mm

Nikkor 18-200mm.

Beware of older, cheaper Nikkor lenses which may not be AF-S models. These WILL NOT auto-focus with the D40.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:37 am 
Where did the 70-300mm without Anti-shake go i might buy that one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:02 am 
Site Admin

Kriss, that model isn't an AF-S model. It won't auto focus on your D40.

Look at the list of letters before and after the lens name. It needs to say AF-S in order to auto-focus with the D40.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:44 pm 
My dad will just get me a 70-300mm at a camera store in california.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:21 pm 
Gordon, can you give me a link to a camera store in Vegas please? :?:

:?: :?: :?:
:?: :?: