Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:27 pm 
Hello everyone,

My first post on the forum. I wanted to lurk around a little longer before I make an account, just read everything, but now I got a question so I needed to register a little earlier.

I've only been making photos on my dslr for two weeks now I'm very much a beginner. I was trying to make the exposure compensation work on Manual mode. I tried setting the EC to +5, -5 and values in between. Taking a picture of the same thing all the time, the photos turned out nearly identical (can be uploaded if neccesary), it seems as if the camera is adjusting the EC by itself. I just can't seem to find the setting for that though...

Is it inherent of the M mode? And how do I change it?

Another question I've been having for a while is one that seems to be related to metering. When I set the AF-area mode to single point the camera occasionally refuses to take a picture and starts autofocusing without success. If I switch to AF area-auto it can make this picture and it selects an autofocus I selected with the single point focus... Why does this happen? It usually says that the subject is too dark but why isn't it too dark when AF area is set to auto. It doesn't really seem consistent in doing this, sometimes when I set the mode to something different and then back again it does take the picture without autofocussing without success.

Thanks!
Boyen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:44 pm 

Hello Boyen, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
When shooting in M(anual) mode the exposure compensation does not influence the exposure but simply the exposure-indicator: Changing the exposure accordingly has to be done by you.
Here's an example: say you have 0EV exp.comp. dialed in and the scene is perfectly exposed at ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/250 sec, so you set these values. Now dial in a -1EV exp.comp. and the indicator will now tell you that you need either to stop down to f/8 or shorten your shutter to 1/500 for the exposure*. That is exactly 1EV less exposure than without exp.comp.! But: You have to change the shutter from 1/250 sec to 1/500 sec (or close the aperture from f5.6 to f8) all by yourself to comply with the "advice" of the exposure-indicator. After that you get the slightly underexposed images and all is well and as it should be :wink:
---
* This is a bit over-simplistic. The exposure-indicator simply says: "With your current settings you're gonna overexpose your image by 1EV - so act accordingly"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:49 am 
Thanks for the warm welcome Thomas!

Most interesting, the exposure compensation only says how you want your image to be, so in S and A it just changes the aperture and shutter speed to get what you want. That's good info, I couldn't figure out how exposure compensation differed from ISO.

Any clue on my second question? Thanks for the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:18 pm 

Hi Boyen. The default setting is to only take a pic if in focus, but you have the option (when shooting in AF-C) to select Release regardless of focus.