Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stadium Photography
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:05 am 
Hello all,

I am brand new here and am already asking for help, but hope that you will be willing to give advice.

I have been shooting for about 6 months. I have a Nikon D90. I only own the 18-105 kit lens.

As a surprise, I am taking my Dad on a trip to a Notre Dame football game. We have both been fans for as long as I can remember and I want to take a picture that I will have framed and give to him for Christmas.

I am going to rent a Nikkor 28-300 lens for the game, but also want to take a shot of the entire stadium from the top row. I am thinking of renting the 14-24 Nikkor or a fisheye. I know that the fisheye will give distortion, but I wanted everyone's opinion's on which would be best.

I sincerely appreciate the help and opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:25 am 

Your best bet will be to forget the 14-24. On the D90 it won't give you a wide enough view for a single shot.

I'd stick with the 18-105mm at around 18-24mm. Then hold the camera in portrait orientation and fire off a row of shots with around a 25% overlap for a panorama.

It's going to be tricky, so make sure you practise beforehand. You'll need the camera in M mode to make sure each exposure in the row of shots has exactly the same exposure. You'll also need to set your White Balance manually. You'll also need to focus for the centre field manually and then not touch the focussing from shot to shot. Your exposure reading should be taken from the brightest point in your view throughout the panorama.

You'll definitely need to practise this a lot to make sure you've got the technique sorted.

Or hire a fisheye! 10.5mm Nikon DX will do it