Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Upgrading from D40
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:45 am 

Simple question - Is it worth getting the D5100 as an upgrade for my D40, or would you only consider it worth upgrading if I get the D7000?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:15 pm 
Hi Steve,

I have the D40 and did buy an "upgrade" in the form of the D300. I've also used the D5100 on a few occasions and found it to be a very nice camera.

As usual, it comes down to what value/importance you attach to the different parts that are improved from the D40.

Better high-ISO performance, faster AF, articulated LCD and higher resolution are - to me - the standout features. Conversely you lose flash-synch speed and it's also more expensive. The lack of an AF motor stays the same.

If I were in your situation, I would look at the price difference between the D5100 and the D7000 and consider if I would want to buy lenses without AF motors.

For example:
- 50mm F1.8 AF-D
- Tokina 11-16mm F2.8
- 85mm F1.8 AF-D
- 35mm F2 AF-D

Point being: if you could see yourself venturing into lenses without AF motors - and there are many high-quality and more budget-friendly examples - then the savings you will enjoy, can quickly make up for the price-difference of the body. The downside is that you pay for that NOW, instead of over time.

In your shoes, I would go fr the D7000, but that is just me.

Good luck with your choice!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:30 pm 

Hey thanks for your reply!

Yes I already have the 50mm F1.8 and have to focus manually - I can still get sharp images this way but it's certainly not as convenient as it would be if I had the AF motor.

I hadn't thought about future lenses but the examples you give - especially the 35mm F2 - do sounds tempting, and at (as you say) prices that are closer to my budget!

The other question is whether I'd like the extra weight of the D7000 - I've got quite used to the D40s weight and compact size (compact in the DSLR world, that is)...I guess the only way to decide that one is to try holding the cameras in a store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:18 pm 

Another thing to consider is if the d5100 would cover your needs in the future. Upgrading twice d40 -> d5100 -> d7000 is more expensive than going for the d7000 right away, then again the upgrade road is almost infinte and you should not upgrade more than you need.

As for the rest I agree with LahLahSr on the lenses. I use my 80-200 reguarly and I would not trade it for the much more expensive 70-200 vr.

Also the D5100 seems to work with menu based functions, and the D7000 seems to have more dedicated buttons for often used functions. But the swivel screen of the D5100 can come in verry handy opposed to the fixed screen on the D7000.

Just my two cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:05 am 

I have the D7000 and it's fabulous - particularoly the dual control wheels (in Av mode, aperture to the rear and ISO to the front and it's a fast camera). And the high ISO performance is impressive.

But think - Sony have just brought out a 24Mp sensor. Might be in Nikon soon.

And I still have and appreciate my D40. It will make an excellent second camera for you - much smaller and lighter than the others under discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:05 am 

Same comment as Hillary, I bought the D40x as I thought the D80 was to heavy. Now I have the D7000 the weight is not a problem, it only takes a few days to get used to. The quickness to change any setting is a plus for me.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:36 am 

If money's not an issue, go for the D7000. The onboard AF motor will help you for focusing with your 50mm, and you'll be able to use some other lenses that rely on the camera's AF system in the future, such as Tokina's excellent 11-16 for wide angle shots or the super sharp 85mm f/1.8 as LahLahSr mentioned earlier.

Another feature that's great to have is the plethora of external controls - dedicated buttons for ISO, white balance, quality, burst mode, plus dual control dials and the top LCD, which is a huge plus for quickly checking settings. The ergonomics will also be improved, although it's a larger camera it will probably feel better and solider in your hands.

Regarding image quality, there'll be absolutely no difference between the D7000 and D5100, they use the same 16MP CMOS sensor which performs excellently in low light. If video's important to you, the D5100 offers 1080P video at 30 FPS, while the D7000's stuck at 24 FPS, the D5100 also offers the articulated LCD for live view shooting, another big plus for video. What sets the D7000 apart is its better ergonomics and faster shooting rate.

Hillary mentioned that Sony recently announced its 24MP CMOS that'll be making its way into Nikon DX bodies soon, most likely the D400 that we'll see in a few months. If you're willing to wait the extra bit for the D400, I'm sure that you won't be disappointed. The only disadvantages that it may have are its price, and it may be too large or heavy for you.

In a nutshell, if you want the best camera right now and money isn't a big factor, go for the D7000. If you don't mind paying a few extra bucks and waiting a month or two, wait for the D400.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:34 pm 

Unfortunately money is an issue!

Question - if I was leaning towards the D5100, would it be worth waiting for its successor? Do people think that this will be announced around the same time that the D400 (the successor for the D7000 I assume) will be announced?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:03 pm 

The D400 will be the successor to the D300s, which will probably be coming later this year, or more probably early 2012. The D7000 and D5100 are relatively new cameras, the D7000 was announced about a year ago and the D5100 some 6 months ago. Any successor for the D7000 won't be for another year at the least, and the D5100 will last for a year and a bit still. If you want the D5100, I'd go ahead and buy, unless you're willing to wait at least another year and a half. It's not worth waiting for the upgrade right now, the D5100's still a very new camera.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams