Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: sb-600 misfires
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:07 am 

I was trying some shots outside with my D90 and sb-600 wirelessly. If I didn't have perfect line of sight with the flash it wouldn't fire. I was 20 to 30 feet away from the flash, is this too far? I've read that as long as the master flash reaches the slave even if it bounces off of something, that is should fire. Any thoughts?

Canon SD750
My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/37592444@N03/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:11 am 

You've found the limits of Nikon CLS.

Daylight + no line of sight can stop communication.

No line of sight in darker conditions isn't necessarily an issue indoors if the on board flash bounces off walls to the hidden SB-600. It can be an issue outdoors if there's nothing to bouce off.

There are plenty of cheaper wireless radio triggers which will overcome this and pocket wizards are a more expensive but more reliable and longer ranged solution. They will only let you shoot wirelessly in Manual mode, unless you opt for the Pocket Wizard flex system which lets you shoot TTL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:22 am 

I encountered the same issued today after picking up an SB-700 and doing some off camera work outdoors. If you really want to get longer range, pick up some Pocket Wizards which will greatly increase the distance that you'll be able to fire at, you should have no issues whatsoever. To save a few bucks, you could probably also get a few $30 off brand triggers on eBay, but the quality won't be near that of the Pocket Wizards.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:43 am 

I've tested the Flex up to around 150m with no issues - full control through the back of the camera and firing fine. Slight overkill, but good to know it's reliable! They did great work at a recent outdoor function after sunset on a boat. SB-600 on a light stick (monopod) with diffuser dome, TTL, a little -ve flash comp and everything spot on straight away - no worrying about manual flash power and light to subject distance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:32 pm 

I can't speak for all models, but on the 600 the light sensor is only on on side of the body. If that light sensor can't see your flash, then it won't fire.

Nikon D200
SB-600
YN-560 II
YN RF 603 x 4
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8
Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR