Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:49 pm 

I'm planning to get a Nikon D7000 body only...this will be my firt DSLR....I did some research about it and I've decided to buy this model...though I'm not sure what lens to buy....most likely I will use this cam for portraits and low light shots....I want something sharp and crip images....haha...so I'm wondering if you guys can give me tips or idea what lens should I buy for my 1st cam....should i go prime or zoom lens..? thanks :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:19 pm 

how much do you want to spend as thatll narrow it down

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:27 pm 

There has been a similar thread before: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27495

By the way, there is no such thing as a "best portrait lens". It always depends on your style of photography.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:35 pm 

Just to throw 1 option into the mix, you might consider the 105 macro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:44 pm 

Easy bang for buck option

50mm f1.8G - the new one

75mm equivalent on the D7000 so an ideal focal length. Very good price point too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:28 pm 

Hi Chestery,

Welcome to the forum. Your choice for a first DSLR should serve you very well - there isn't really anything the D7000 cannot do and it should perform beautifully for portraiture and low-light both.

As for the lens..if you want it to be very low-light capable, very sharp and be inexpensive, the primes are your only choice. However, I would point out to you that extraordinary sharpness isn't a particularly sought after quality of portrait lenses. It is for almost any other purpose, but portraiture less so.

This doesn't mean that the lens can be blurry and no correctly functioning lens is directly blurry. Think of it as a range from "what you'd normally expect" to "sharpness as a standout feature".

Your tastes are your won - if you like and want very sharp crisp portraits right out of the camera, don't let anyone tell you different.

Most of the photography I do - the parts I enjoy the most and occasionally get paid for - is portraiture. I've tried a wide range of lenses and one lens stand out to me. The easily overlooked and inexpensive 55-200mm AF-S.

It does so for a couple of reasons:
- "perfect range" for portraits at the different distances I tend to shoot
- plenty of sharpness, but not too much

...and above all, the color rendition it gives me - which I think is "perfect" for the portraits I do. Particularly skin-tones in daylight.

I've used 85mm F1.4, 50mm F1.8, 135mm DC and other lenses for portraits and they all have some strengths. However, at the end of the day the 55-200mm is just "hassle free" for me. I tend to move around a lot when I shoot, but I still require the ability to zoom in and out fast and this lens allows me to do so. Besides, if you shoot strangers you will come across some that cannot relax if you are too close..and a 50mm prime will require you to do so for tighter crops and then you have to focus on other skills to get them to relax and enjoy the experience.

Here are two recent examples.

...but that's just me. Almost any lens can produce exceptional portraits in capable hands.

Good luck with your choice!

Cheers :-)